Big Bother and the company he keeps

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Big Bother and the company he keeps

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

Having installed an interesting little FireFox add-on, I now see that when I come to the LXF website. I'm being watched by Google Analytics, Doublelick, Omniture and Revenue Science

Perhaps this was made clear in the terms and conditions when I joined and I simply didn't notice ... but I am not aware of it being made clear anywhere on this site

Is this information made known to us when we join?

Is it made clear anywhere on this site?
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:16 pm

I'd stay away from big bother, even his little brother is no good ;)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:03 pm

Although I suspect that was a reference to the appalling spectacle palmed off on a demoralised and desensitised viewing audience as 'Reality TV' [1], I can't help but wonder, at one and the same time, if I haven't just been subtly insulted :wink:

---

[1] As if a more artificial form of 'entertainment' could possibly be contrived
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:09 pm

You post on this site and we are careful to insult everybody according to their need ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm

towy71 wrote:You post on this site and we are careful to insult everybody according to their need ;-)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :wink:

On the one had, it makes me feel so welcome : On the other, I'm not sure I want, never mind need to be insulted
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:00 pm

Yes, you do, everyone, deep down has a need to be insulted.
Just as they make frequent typos ;)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:28 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Yes, you do, everyone, deep down has a need to be insulted.
Just as they make frequent typos ;)

Or, indeed, grammatical errors, eh?

Just for the record, by way of illustration, I believe that what you meant to write was probably Yes, you do. Everyone has a need, deep down, to be insulted; just as they make frequent typos ;)

There now, see what you've done! Now I'm being insulting :wink:
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:37 pm

Is there any chance of a real answer to my question, do you supose? - Or is Mike just gonna have to move the whole thread to Off Topic again?
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:38 pm

As I said in another thread; it's catching :P
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm

LoL wrote:Is there any chance of a real answer to my question, do you supose? - Or is Mike just gonna have to move the whole thread to Off Topic again?

Maybe he's wondering who Big Bother is? :P

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:19 pm

LoL wrote:Just for the record, by way of illustration, I believe that what you meant to write was probably Yes, you do. Everyone has a need, deep down, to be insulted; just as they make frequent typos ;)

When correcting someone else's punctuation, you really need to take care. For instance, quotation marks around the bold text, a final full stop, and either a comma or a colon after the word 'probably' would all go some way toward removing the beam from out of your own eye. :P

And, yes, I did mean to use an Oxford comma in that sentence. :P :P
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:40 pm

ROFLMAO ... This is fun - I may not even be so bothered about not getting a proper reply any more :D

I have to say "Touche ... It's a fair cop, Guv"

Nevertheless, whilst the Oxford comma was, in and of itself, inexcusable by any standards, it paled into insignificance when compared with the horror that is "from out of" - I'm gonna be waking up in a cold sweat for months now, thanks to that little monstrosity :wink:

---

On a side note, I apologise for the tardiness of my reply, but I was somewhat distracted by the mass gun battle outside my window ... (The police have turned up now and put a stop to it ... spoilsports ... but it was fun whilst it lasted) - Oddly enough, despite a number of shots being exchanged, by a number of people, between the house opposite and those massed at the end of the garden, no windows appear to have been broken ... (What are the chances, eh?)
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:50 pm

LoL wrote:Nevertheless, whilst the Oxford comma was, in and of itself, inexcusable by any standards

Not at all. In this context it was just good manners. :wink: It is there for clarity. Just try reading the 'and either... or' construction without the Oxford comma. And be thankful I'm not American, otherwise I'd be bunging 'em in everywhere.

LoL wrote:I'm gonna be waking up in a cold sweat for months now, thanks to that little monstrosity

Excellent! Success! :P

LoL wrote:mass gun battle outside my window

Where on Earth do you live? :?

By the way, we're still waiting for you to explain what 'Big Bother' is.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Third party cookies? Just don't accept cookies originating from anything except the originating server.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby LoL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:27 pm

RedWillow wrote:Not at all. In this context it was just good manners. :wink: It is there for clarity. Just try reading the 'and either... or' construction without the Oxford comma. And be thankful I'm not American, otherwise I'd be bunging 'em in everywhere.

Nope ... that's a feeble excuse, if ever I heard one - If you find yourself having to use a comma after an 'and' then you need to re-write your idea in a less confused manner in the first place :wink:

RedWillow wrote:Where on Earth do you live? :?

I could tell you - But then I'd have to shoot you :wink:

RedWillow wrote:By the way, we're still waiting for you to explain what 'Big Bother' is.

Heh, an apposite typo - It was meant to be 'Big Brother' ... but it amounts to the same thing :wink:
Oontz <-- Click Here
LoL
LXF regular

Next

Return to This Website