39%
Gnome
42%
Something else
19%

Total votes : 31

KDE or Gnome #2

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:09 pm

Just because the last poll closed early and the outcome was unclear.
Me - Gnome. As I said, Gnome allowes me to get straight to work and KDE requires serious modification and uninstalling of apps.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: KDE or Gnome #2

Postby Flea » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:56 am

Yeah, like I said in the last poll, I have recently turned judas on KDE :oops: All for Gnome now!
Flea
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:31 am

I was going off KDE but after getting 3.4 I like all the little quirks :D
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:03 am

I've always found KDE to work fine straight out of the box. The choice of configuration is a bonus for me, I hate having to use a program the way someone else wants me to.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ollie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:03 am

I agree with linuxgirlie and nelz - KDE has always just worked out of the box, and being able to better customise makes it even easier. Gnome, even with the menu bar and task bar similarity to OS X, just seems to be harder to get to applications.
ollie

Postby Erin » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:11 am

To quote Blackadder, I've poo-pood because otherwise the poo-poo will poo-poo and come back to poo-poo you all over again!

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:56 am

Easy: KDE has Konqueror, Gnome has Nautilus. No contest. KDE wins.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:44 pm

I think this is basically irrelevant, you use whatever desktop you want, and whether you use "x" or "y" is a personal choice. Any poll or other method of showing who uses what is more devisive and counter to the whole point of OSS, which is choice, diversity and freedom.
Dick
(I voted Gnome :lol:)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:50 pm

jer1ch0
>>
Just because the last poll closed early and the outcome was unclear.
Me - Gnome. As I said, Gnome allowes me to get straight to work and KDE requires serious modification and uninstalling of apps.
>>

Ballmer would say windows is better :roll:

>>
the outcome was unclear ...
>>

Seems clear enough, verious people have various subjective opinions ... nothing new, but where is the actual substance... it's still not in alpha order too... A kde fan could say just what you said, one person thinks it works straight out of the box, another thinks it needs lots of configuring. They both disallow any changes to their basic structure ... in that you can only configure as long as you don't obscure the branding -=- can you change those suspicously looking 3 MS styled buttons in the top right of a kde menu bar ... like, move em to the left ? ... is there a point ? :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:01 pm

I use Tekwm!

http://www.aster.uklinux.net/tekwm.gif

(Yes, I hacked a window manager that was last updated in 1989 to work with modern Unixes and X. Oh dear.)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 pm

jjmac wrote:They both disallow any changes to their basic structure ... in that you can only configure as long as you don't obscure the branding -=- can you change those suspicously looking 3 MS styled buttons in the top right of a kde menu bar ... like, move em to the left ? ... is there a point ? :)

That's simply not true, you can change them as much as you like. As for the buttons, you are only looking at the default theme and positions, even a cursory glance at the options (right-click on the windows title bar) will show they can be moved. I always move the close button to the left end of the title bar, because that's where I'm used to finding it and I don't see why I should change to suit a damned machine :)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: KDE or Gnome #2

Postby jjmac » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:46 pm

They can be changed !, hmmmmmm, good (grin). Must admit i didn't try the right-click test. That is refreshing ... i will have to look again i think ... if so then i will be changing my opion (hehe) Weeeell, maybe (grin). But as you say, then it must be ... I don't understand the last bit though. How would the machine come into it :) ... no ... don't tell me (sratch_head.png) ... it's to late at night :D

cheers,

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby RD » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:39 pm

Must admit that when i tryed ubuntu 4.10 i started to like Gnome how ever ive always been a KDE fan :D
RD
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:45 pm

I've even seen a recent project to make KDE look like gnome. As towy71 said it is personal preferance. I tend to find that office users run Gnome and home users run KDE. I personally run Gnome although I do run k3b for burning discs for LinuxISO.
Windows converts might want to look at something like Famelix if they prefer the redmond style GUI.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Birdman » Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:32 am

The great thing about the gnome and kde projects for me are the amazing array of apps that are developed. I used to use kde on my old box but found it too heavy for a PII 333 so I gave xfce a try. I now have an Athlon64 3000 and still use xfce - light, fast and I can launch all of my favourite gnome and kde apps without any problems. The best of both worlds :D
Birdman
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion