(LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

(LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian?

Postby phorneker » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:50 am

I am looking forward to getting LXF70, which contains two distributions I wish to try out.

I have been using Red Hat/Fedora Core distributions since December 1998 (starting with Red Hat 5.0), and have gotten Fedora Core 3 to run on my Compaq/HP Deskpro EP/SB series machine fairly well.

This machine has a 20GB hard drive, 128MB system RAM, Voodoo 3 video card, a Lite-On DVD-ROM, a HP CD Writer+ 8200, and connected to it are a HP PSC1110, Deskjet 656C, and Epson Stylus Color 660 printers.

I got Fedora Core 3 running well by enabling 32-bit disk access on the hard drive, and by configuring the boot process to run only what I need.

Issues I have with the distros are:

1. Should I try Fedora Core 4 on this machine, or should I use the Debian 3.1 instead?

2. The HPLIP software needed to utilize the PSC1110 is compiled from source, as is the Bluefish HTML editor, Digikam, and Kile (LaTeX editor). Do these distributions provide what I need to successfully compile these packages from source?

3. Since the LXF70 is double-sided, is there going to be a problem reading the DVD?
phorneker

RE: (LXF70 DVD) Should I use Fedora Core 4 or Debian?

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:26 am

1. No. It's not an either/or choice, unless drive space is limited. why not install both and see which you prefer.

2. Yes, but I'd be surprised if they don't supply packages for most, if not all, of what you need.

3. Only if you forget to turn it over :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby AndyMerrall » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:43 pm

Install Fedora. Anaconda is a graphical installer and more straight forward than the Debian installer. Maybe I'm bias. I started my migration with Fedora Core One. I'm now on Fedora Core Four. I havn't had any problems with Fedora.
AndyMerrall

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:52 pm

This is Linux, not Windows. You only install once but use it every day. don't base your decision on eye candy in an installer you will only use once.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby linuxgirlie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:01 pm

I agree with nelz, plus if you wanted a great looking installer I wouldn't choose fedora, as its just plain ugly.....lol
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:44 pm

Yeah, use the Gentoo one with some funky fonts :D
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:58 am

To be completely unbiased about it i would have to say -=- go for deb of course ;) (grin)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs