The Newest Linux: Chrome OS

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

The Newest Linux: Chrome OS

Postby Captain_Tux » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm

Come on, admit it... you knew it was just a matter of time!

http://www.linux.com/news/software/appl ... -chrome-os
Captain_Tux
LXF regular

Re: The Newest Linux: Chrome OS

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Captain_Tux wrote:Come on, admit it... you knew it was just a matter of time!

http://www.linux.com/news/software/appl ... -chrome-os

Before someone posted this story here? Well, yes. ;)

As we already have Android, it's no great surprise.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby LeeNukes » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:59 am

And it just sounds to be a platform for their browser, I don't know if I'll be installing it on my EeePC 701 to be honest.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 am

LeeNukes wrote:And it just sounds to be a platform for their browser, I don't know if I'll be installing it on my EeePC 701 to be honest.

No, eeebuntu 2.0 base upgraded is doing fine. Especially since it's my only laptop whilst my Asus G1S is in for warranty repairs.
ollie

Postby Infrasound » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 am

I thought there's already something called gos and the upcoming Cloud OS.
Fedora 11!
Infrasound

Postby heiowge » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:31 am

I thought gOS used a lot of integration for google aps, but wasn't made by google specifically designed to interface with their aps as they're built.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:41 pm

I'm already fed up with ChromeOS, it seems you can't go to any Linux news site without being overwhelmed with masses of, frequently ill-informed, news stories and opinion pieces about the damned thing.
If Apple had the Jesus phone, it looks like some people see ChromeOS as the Jesus OS. I'm almost looking forward to the let-down, when it comes.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:23 am

So it'll be open-source, and everything will just work - presumably including all those proprietary-encoded media downloads.

right.

That'll be Chrome OS and whose codecs?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby bobzr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:05 pm

Rhakios wrote:If Apple had the Jesus phone, it looks like some people see ChromeOS as the Jesus OS. I'm almost looking forward to the let-down, when it comes.

I personally don't care whether people will see Chrome as Jesus, or whether I will use this Os or not.
What's important to me is that people are talking about Linux.
Thanks to Ubuntu Linux has become more popular.
Thanks to Chrome, Linux will finally be a real threat to the giant MS. Google has the stature to take this challenge.
bobzr

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:22 pm

Except that, contrary to the immense amount of dross posted in various places on the web, there is no indication that Google are intending to make Chrome into general desktop OS. Rather, it is being aimed at portable devices which will use Google apps and Google's storage where ever they might be. That's not Microsoft's core business.
So no games for those who consistently complain that Linux doesn't have any games, no Photoshop, no Dreamweaver and so on.
What Google might be trying to do is change the way people use their computers, for some tasks at least, but this will impact on the rest of Linux distros, Apple and Microsoft equally, if it works.
The people behind Google aren't stupid, they will not take Microsoft on directly on their own turf, instead they are trying to create their own market which might eat away at the edges of Microsoft's territory. Personally, I'd be more worried if I were Apple with its successful iPhone and MobileMe service, which is trying to grow a mobile computing market of its own.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:27 pm

bobzr
could you reduce the size of your avatar please it messes up the formatting of the text
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby bobzr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Again... who cares what Google intends to do.. People have already changed the way they use their computer. All I can say from my personal experience is that I'm presently in France for a few weeks. I wanted to buy a netbook with Linux installed and I couldnt find one in any of the great Computers shops of Paris. Only Xp netbooks! Wait and see next year when Chrome will be on shelf. :wink:
bobzr

Postby bobzr » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:36 pm

towy71 wrote:bobzr
could you reduce the size of your avatar please it messes up the formatting of the text

sorry I was just trying..... will remove it right now!
bobzr

Postby CJLL » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:42 pm

bobzr wrote:Again... who cares what Google intends to do.. People have already changed the way they use their computer. All I can say from my personal experience is that I'm presently in France for a few weeks. I wanted to buy a netbook with Linux installed and I couldnt find one in any of the great Computers shops of Paris. Only Xp netbooks! Wait and see next year when Chrome will be on shelf. :wink:

<rant>
oh I remember the golden age of netbooks killed by consumer's desire to run Micky$oft apps. Given the fact that a entry level laptop costs the same as a netbook, why bother with the mini screen and keyboard?

I suspect if netbook manufacturer's had done a better job of making netbooks more M$ compatible in the first place i.e. including moonlight then the market would still be viable.
</rant>
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:48 pm

I have long considered the chief advantage of a netbook over an entry level laptop is that you can fit one in the poacher's pocket of your coat ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Other OS