Homeplug

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Homeplug

Postby mugstar » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:25 pm

Was wondering if anyone has any experience of homeplug devices or recommendations for particular hardware? The last topic on the subject was over two years ago ,,,
mugstar
LXF regular

RE: Homeplug

Postby towy71 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:32 pm

I have a friend who uses them, he just plugs the computer in and it works :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Homeplug

Postby RedWillow » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:52 pm

I've got the 85Mbps versions of the Devolo Homeplugs. As towy71 says, you just plug 'em in and they work. I have no experience of the other makes, but I'm happy with the Devolos.

And if you're super-paranoid, you can flash the Devolo ones with a passphrase which encrypts the data stream. The nice thing about the Devolos is that they come with a Linux terminal utility for setting the passwords and checking the data speeds. You have to compile the utility yourself, but you just have to support a company that actually bothers to provide Linux configuration software. :wink:

Edit: and if you lose the CD, you can download the software from their site. How about that? :)
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm looking at these ... mainly 'cos I am super-paranoid and they have the best encryption as well as being a good price. Any thoughts?
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby ollie » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:18 am

You only have to look at the specifications for the alarm bells to start ringing:
Software Type - Drivers & Utilities

System Requirements - OS Required
Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP
Microsoft Windows Server 2003

The question to ask is, "Does the encryption use the drivers or utilities that are only written for Windows?"
ollie

Postby roseway » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:30 am

Ollie is spot on there. I have a Philips set which has the same restriction. The only way to use them in encrypted form is to have Windows running. Devolo is the way to go, in my opinion.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:16 am

I don't know about the others, but the Devolo ones only need special software to set the encryption keys. Once the units are set to use the same keys, no software is needed. I use Devolo AV200 units to connect the MythTV frontend in my living room and they work well. I don't need or use encryption for this but I have tried the software and it works as advertised.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Astley » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:06 am

Hello all,

These PLT devices are filthy things, in radio spectrum terms - see
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/UKQRM/
for more details.

Regards Ant
Astley

Postby Birdman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 pm

I am thinking of getting one of these. I have a few questions:

1) My cable connection into the house, and therefore where my router is placed, is in the house extension that has its own fuse box (both circuits come from one mains feed entering the house). Will the signal pass around the rest of the house from the extension?

2) If I have one plug 'out' from the router and two in other parts of the house could the plugs in the house be used simultaneously or for each connection in the house will I need a matching plug connected to an individual port on the router?

Thanks.
Birdman
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:22 pm

1) I have a similar setup and it didn't work too well. I was able to run an ethernet cable through ther wall to connect to a homeplug unit on the main house circuit, which gave better performance.

2) Homeplug is multicast, not point-to-point, so you can have any number of units transferring data simultaneously, but the overall bandwidth is shared between the connections.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Birdman » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks Nelz. This is well worth a go then. I had thought of your solution but was hoping that I wouldn't need it :)
Birdman
LXF regular

Postby Birdman » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:10 pm

My Devolo pack arrived today. I am delighted to say, that even with my dodgy wiring set-up and using a gang surge protector, it works :D I have not had a chance to run any extensive tests but I can run videos from youtube without any glitches, so it looks promising.
Birdman
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:25 pm

I found iperf to be useful for testing performance of my Homeplug setup.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hardware