Wake on LAN remotely

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wake on LAN remotely

Postby pk_fox » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:43 pm

Hello All, I've searched these forums and the Web but cannot find a satisfactory answer to my problem ( no jibes please ! ). My home machine ( FC2 ) has an onboard ethernet card ( VIA VT6102 ) with wake on lan enabled in the bios and sits behind a Linksys router with port forwarding setup for the machine I wish to "wake". Try as I might I cannot wake it up either remotely or from my local lan, I've tried etherwake , wol and various web based tools all to no avail, has anyone had any luck with this

regards

Pete
pk_fox
LXF regular

RE: Wake on LAN remotely

Postby linuxgirlie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:12 pm

For Karoshi we use WakeLan, but this we just use for the local network not though a router....
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

RE: Wake on LAN remotely

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:44 pm

Are you sure WOL is actually working on the box? The first thing I would check is that it works locally, without going through the router etc - can you check it with a laptop and a crossover cable?

Postby pk_fox » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:58 am

thanks I'll try it later

regards

Pete Kane
pk_fox
LXF regular

Postby lala » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:36 pm

If I understand things correctly, Wake on LAN is working at the ethernet layer and therefore the wake on lan frame is not forwarded through a router which makes decisions at the IP layer. Therefore, your machines need to be on the same subnet for this to work.
lala

Return to Help!