Security for Linux: what is the best software to use

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Security for Linux: what is the best software to use

Postby incognitoavatar » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and new to this is my first post. I'm also new to Linux. I've been using Linux at work (a physics department) and want to start using it at home. I'm going for SUSE 9.3 Pro for now.

I just wanted to know, what sort of antivirus, firewall, spyware etc programs should are best to use.

Thanks
incognitoavatar

RE: Security for Linux: what is the best software to use

Postby alloydog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:40 pm

alloydog
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:00 pm

And see the next issue (71) :)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Erin » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Is alloydog randomly posting links to PCAnswers forum to answer questions? Fair enough.
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:29 pm

Damn, my Random Link Generator has been sussed...

No, but incognitoavatar had posted exactly the same questions over at the PCAnswers forum, which I had already replied to by the time I saw them here - I was just toooo lazy to copy my posts here, and replace the ones in PCAnswers with links to this site :roll:

Hey wow, on looking at the preview of this post, I see that one cannot write words such b * * * * * * s :shock:
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:40 pm

That's because swearing isn't big and hard, unless you're in a Northern pub, in which case it becomes mandatory! :)

Women and children read these boards, so I prefer to keep the swearing down! Well, I presume some kids read it. Anyone? Who's the youngest person here?

The winner receives a Crazy Frog punchbag (over 14s) or bottle of Blue WKD (under 14s)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:23 pm

Actually, in a case, IIRC, Sheffield City Council vs Malcolm Maclaren, it was ruled that that particular B-word was not offensive. I believe it was the chair of English studies, or something like that, a Bishop, to boot, testified that that word actually meant "boring"... Long time ago I heard it on BBC Radio 1 in a programme about the early years of the Sex Pistols. I also remember the early years of the Sex Pistols, so I guess there's no way I'm the youngest. Heck, I remember before the Sex Pistols :?
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:32 pm

Aha! Yes, it's an very old word. In A-Level English Language, we were given access to the CD-ROM version of the OED. Being the highly mature, studious youths that we were, we set about looking up 'taboo' words straight away. Those were the days. We found something similar to this (see the second-to-last post on the page):

http://opendemocracy.net/forums/thread. ... geID=64487

Unfortunately, even words like that have lost their impact now -- every man Jack and his wife drop them into every other sentence. To counter this, Viz comic tried to 'invent' a new swear word: 'fitbin'. Hasn't taken off though, sadly...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Return to Discussion