Installing Linux to a USB hard drive

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Installing Linux to a USB hard drive

Postby grunt » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:44 pm

Hi

I have an old laptop hard drive in an enclosure that plugs in to my USB port. I tried to install the Mandriva cover disc to this so that I can keep Windows and Linux on separate drives, and automatically boot Linux just by plugging it in (the laptop lets me prioritise a USB hard drive at boot). I have little spare capacity on the main and my girlfriend uses the machine for Windows, hence wanting to keep separate.

Nice idea, unfortunately the set up only recognises IDE and SCSI drives so does anyone know of an alternative install option/ way round this? Ideally I don't want to spend more money on alternative connections for the drive!

Also, as it was a replacement drive in an old laptop it is formatted as an 8gb drive due to old BIOS, but has 20gb capacity, I presume reformat at install overcomes this?!

Help appreciated!
grunt

RE: Installing Linux to a USB hard drive

Postby A-Wing » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:35 pm

the setup should see the USB disk as a scsi drive (probably /dev/sda), and yes format during install wil also repartition
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs