Mobile Broadband (UK)

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:56 am

I humbly withdraw the spam comments :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:23 am

In fact, it was spam. The article was indeed useful, but it was copied and pasted from our friends at TechRadar. The original article is here:

Clicky

And then guess what? The original, original version of the article first appeared in Linux Format :-) Full circle and all that...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Rhakios wrote:in fact, it looked an awful lot like an article I remember reading in Linux Format...

I got that bit right then. :roll:

Guess it's my turn to eat humble pie now, it's a good job I'm feeling a bit peckish. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby hyweljones » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:41 pm

Skewing slightly, vodafone mobile connect (VMC) is currently difficult to get running with Kubntu Jaunty. Something to do with the Python libraries. Just be warned the betavine package won't work out of the box if you are running jaunty. There are some hacks around it, I've managed it but can't remember how!

Apart from that its good to see Vodafone offering open source for its products.

As far as I know, earlier releases and other distro's work fine with VMC.
hyweljones

BT mobile broadband

Postby mrhappry » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:11 pm

We've recently switched broadband supplier to BT, and took up the mobile bb for £9.99 one-off offer that came with. The usb modem dongle is a HUAWEI E180 device which does plug and play in Ubuntu but the trouble was that the SIM/account needed registering which requires you to use the onboard software which will only run on a Windows machine (BT Connection Manager). This will allow you to register and receive a pin to complete the process.

Once registered however, I set the service provider as Vodafone Pre-pay (BT apparently use the Vodafone network), and applied the right APN and login settings in the connection and it's all up and running. No signal at home though!

I have also had an Orange dongle plugged in on the road belonging to a friend, and that worked flawlessly straight off. This was on Linpus Lite on my Acer Aspire One netbook.

8)
mrhappry

Postby nelz » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:46 pm

hyweljones wrote:Skewing slightly, vodafone mobile connect (VMC) is currently difficult to get running with Kubntu Jaunty.

You don't need VMC with Vodafone, or anyone else, unless you want to send SMS messages through the dongle.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

MF627 dongle, Ubuntu 9.10 and "3"

Postby scooter » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:51 pm

The above combination works. After trying the USB mode switch option, which I couldn't get to work. :(

The EASY way is to boot up your Netbook as normal, plug in you dongle and once it appears in "Volumes" eject it; it will then change from being another drive to being a modem and will connect to "3" . :lol:

You need to enter your password in the set up wizard that first appears when your dongle is recognised and you get a green light when a strong signal is available, blue when it's a little weaker and red for no signal.

Finding my password was a problem as I don't have any Windoz boxes :D at home so I used my PC at work and installed the software on it and was then able to read my password. The default settings used by 9.10 work fine :lol:
scooter

Re: RE: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby jeanlery2010 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:21 am

tazoftazmania wrote:For information:

I tried using the Pay-As-You- Go option from 3 (£49 for the modem + £10 top up which lasts a month before it expires) and successfully managed to connect without any issues. There is no automatic install of software like you get if you have XP but using the Network Connection option on the desktop it was simple enough to set up.
The problem was 3's interface. With PAYG you have to register a top up when you first connect, except that the re-direct doesn't take you to the right page, instead you have to go to my3.three.co.uk to top up. Th top up is not linked to your accunt login so you have to type in the phone number of the modem like you would for a mobile phone. Double and triple check the phone number as I stupidly ended up transposing two numbers and giving someone else 10 quids worth of surfing time.
I didn't get on with the account and registering a credit card for later top ups so I cancelled (you have three days to cancel and you don't get back the airtime you bought) .
Going to try Orange's pay monthly offer next as they seem to have more coverage...

Thank you for sharing us the results of your research. I will follow the same directory. In fact, Orange is more considerable than others. But actually I am using a mobile broadband with Linux and it's fine.
jeanlery p. enierga
jeanlery2010

Re: RE: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby Philip Bedford » Sun Jul 25, 2010 11:09 am

I bought my Modem Transceiver Dongle (E156G) from a high street "3" shop.

They did all the set-up stuff for me with a barcode reader.

I suggest all future Linux users should get their modem this way.

Philip Bedford

Postby Philip Bedford » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:24 pm

I found this on the web.

It lists the names of some 3G Mobile Broadband Modem Transceivers [=Dongles] which have been found to work [mostly].

http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/MobileBroadband

And see the wiki for more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetworkManager

Also, your instillation of Linux must have a recent version of Network Manager.

What will not work is any Windows based software stored on the device.

Things like a Dashboard showing your session usage, and recent usage.

Nor will the SMS service (informing you that your remaining download allowance is low) function.

I have a Huawei E156G on "3".

A few months ago, there was a official download that re-flashed the memory in this modem.

This deposited html pages [in /media/3Connect/disk1/ConfigAddOns] from which my My3 account can be accessed.

So it is possible for me to top-up my account, and to see how much download allowance i have left [providing that i can get on-line].

I have no idea whether this has happened with other broadband providers.

Philip Bedford

Postby Philip Bedford » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:48 pm

Philip Bedford wrote:

This deposited html pages [in /media/3Connect/disk1/ConfigAddOns] from which my My3 account can be accessed.

So it is possible for me to top-up my account, and to see how much download allowance i have left [providing that i can get on-line].

As a PS, i would add that using this method, of accessing ones My3 account via the links on the html pages, takes one to the account of the modem that you are using.

And, of course, the modem must have a functioning connection to the internet.

Philip Bedford

Postby DanteA » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:29 pm

It depends entirely upon the modem in question; most modems 'flip flop' between being a modem and can flip over to act as storage, which contains an automated installer program for Windows (and some for Mac).

Others, mostly the older series of modems out there, are just modems which require software installed from the CD to operate.

As far as I know, the only easy way to operate these damn things is to use GNOME's NetworkManager frontend (alongside the 'mobile-broadband-provider' package in the Ubuntu Repo). They don't really play nicely with KDE.
DanteA

Postby nelz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:02 pm

I use WVdial launched from the KDE menu, works perfectly.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby PCNetSpec » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:13 pm

I've seen gnome-ppp (really a front end for wvdial) used for 3g, hasn't KDE got something similar... has anyone tried to set up a 3g connection using kppp ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Philip Bedford » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:55 am

DanteA wrote:It depends entirely upon the modem in question; most modems 'flip flop' between being a modem and can flip over to act as storage, which contains an automated installer program for Windows (and some for Mac).

Others, mostly the older series of modems out there, are just modems which require software installed from the CD to operate.

I am using a Huawei E156G.

I have no trace of Windows on my machine.

Using Ubuntu (10.04) Netbook Edition.

So far as i am aware, please fell free to correct me, the flip occurs

at instillation.

At plug-in, the device is configured as a standard USB memory stick.

It automatically initiates.

Once it has installed itself,

it is then seen as two separate spaces by Disc Utility:

1) An ordinary USB area.

2) As a Virtual CD Drive.

I presume the Virtual CD has replaced the real CD in this process.

So far as i can tell, this initialisation is independent of whatever OS might be available.

It judge that initialisation is managed at the BIOS level, since each of the two separate spaces appear on the BIOS boot choice menu, before the OS is invoked.

Philip Bedford

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware