Mobile Broadband (UK)

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby tazoftazmania » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of using any of the new mobile broadband dongles that are offered by the likes of Vodaphone and 3?
I've tried contacting the various suppliers but get passed from pillar to post and can get no definitive answer. It looks like even if they do work they won't support you using Linux (quel surprise).

I'm not particularly keen on forking out for an 18 month contract to find it's not compatible.

I've got an Asus EeePC900 running the Xandros distro it came with.
P.S. I'm brand new to Linux and enjoying the experience so far...
tazoftazmania

RE: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby towy71 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:22 pm

I have seen these dongles working with both the Eeepc and other laptops running different versions of Linux,
I found this look at third post down
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby tazoftazmania » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:33 pm

Thanks for the link towy :)
tazoftazmania

Postby tazoftazmania » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:45 am

For information:

I tried using the Pay-As-You- Go option from 3 (£49 for the modem + £10 top up which lasts a month before it expires) and successfully managed to connect without any issues. There is no automatic install of software like you get if you have XP but using the Network Connection option on the desktop it was simple enough to set up.
The problem was 3's interface. With PAYG you have to register a top up when you first connect, except that the re-direct doesn't take you to the right page, instead you have to go to my3.three.co.uk to top up. Th top up is not linked to your accunt login so you have to type in the phone number of the modem like you would for a mobile phone. Double and triple check the phone number as I stupidly ended up transposing two numbers and giving someone else 10 quids worth of surfing time.
I didn't get on with the account and registering a credit card for later top ups so I cancelled (you have three days to cancel and you don't get back the airtime you bought) .
Going to try Orange's pay monthly offer next as they seem to have more coverage...
tazoftazmania

Postby towy71 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:58 am

Great stuff for you to post your results :D , better luck with Orange ;-)
towy71

Re: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby nherriot » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:31 pm

tazoftazmania wrote:Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of using any of the new mobile broadband dongles that are offered by the likes of Vodaphone and 3?
I've tried contacting the various suppliers but get passed from pillar to post and can get no definitive answer. It looks like even if they do work they won't support you using Linux (quel surprise).

I'm not particularly keen on forking out for an 18 month contract to find it's not compatible.

I've got an Asus EeePC900 running the Xandros distro it came with.
P.S. I'm brand new to Linux and enjoying the experience so far...

You can use the betavine repository to install the Vodafone Mobile Connect driver for the Asus EeePC automatically. Betavine is a Vodafone R&D open source mobile community web site:

Go to the help page here.
nherriot

RE: Re: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby danMdan » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:05 pm

You need access to a Windows XP PC when starting to use the E220 modem with an Asus Eee. This is because Asus sends a code by text message which the Eee is unable to receive. The software loaded on to an XP machine gives access to this vital code, needed, I assume, to activate the dongle. Otherwise my Eee 701 and 900 models, and an XP PC, and a Mac OSX machine all work OK with the E220.
danMdan

Re: RE: Re: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby nherriot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:13 am

danMdan wrote:You need access to a Windows XP PC when starting to use the E220 modem with an Asus Eee. This is because Asus sends a code by text message which the Eee is unable to receive. The software loaded on to an XP machine gives access to this vital code, needed, I assume, to activate the dongle. Otherwise my Eee 701 and 900 models, and an XP PC, and a Mac OSX machine all work OK with the E220.

Hi, I'm not sure I follow? In testing we used a Vodafone SIM and dongle. The SIM had credit, and the ASUS was as new boxed. Do you mean the activation code for the SIM?
nherriot

RE: Re: RE: Re: Mobile Broadband (UK)

Postby danMdan » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:34 am

Sorry, I should have made it clear that my note applied to a new, unused, E220 bought from "3" only - although other suppliers might have something similar I don't know about Vodaphone.
danMdan

Postby nherriot » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:39 am

Should find the experience with a Vodafone SIM and dongle far less painful with Linux !!! :wink:
nherriot

Postby Stationmaster » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:34 pm

Hmmm some suppliers are not exactly forthcoming about what there equipment will and won't work with. I asked Orange if there Mobile BB dongle would work with a Linux powered machine to get back a fairly standard 'we don't support Linux' reply

So I guess we are on our own with most of these latest toys although most items with a USB should appear on any modern OS as what they are; be it a modem or a DVD burner so why do supplier make such a mystery of it all.

Whether the implication is that the drivers are not supported in anything other than Windows is another issue but one which no doubt those more computer literate than I will be able to comment on but from what little I have gleaned you should be pretty safe with equipment fitted with a USB plug working on whatever it is plugged into.
Stationmaster

Postby nelz » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 pm

I received an email from someone at Vodafone recently, in response to something I wrote about mobile broadband. So it appears that at least one company not only knows about Linux but Linux Format too :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Veryzone » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:00 am

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
Veryzone

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:37 am

spam spam spam
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:44 am

towy71 wrote:spam spam spam

Did you follow the link, towy? I did, it contains useful information for setting up diallers under Linux for a variety of mobile providers, in fact, it looked an awful lot like an article I remember reading in Linux Format...

I won't be deleting the link myself (which is malformed anyway), but if you feel other mods would wish to do so, you can always contact them.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Hardware