All-in-One Printer and Linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

All-in-One Printer and Linux

Postby slowandgo » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:42 am

Hello All,

I am currently dual booting with Windoz XP Pro and SuSe 9.2 Pro Linux. I currentlly have a Dell A922 All-in-One Printer(Printer, Scanner, copier) but the problem I have is that Linux does not recognize it as a printer so I cannot print anything from Linux. Can anyone recommend any AIO devices that will work with Linux and Windoz?

Thanks

Slow and Go :P
slowandgo

RE: All-in-One Printer and Linux

Postby andychannelle » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:32 am

I have an Epson CX3200 all-in-one, and all the functions appear to work as expected from Linux (Xandros), OS-X and Windows XP. The printer is attached to the Mac and I print across the network using Samba from other machines.

Andy
andychannelle
LXF regular

RE: All-in-One Printer and Linux

Postby fingers99 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 9:44 pm

At linuxprinting.org they say:

Multifunction
Multifunctions are generally a combination of scanner and printer, sometimes with a fax modem; they work as a copier, printer, fax machine, and scanner.

For a working multifunction device, consider the Epson CX3200 and CX5200 (use kernel 2.4.21 or newer); or one of the HP OfficeJet or PSC devices supported by the HPOJ project such as the PSC 2150 or PSC 750. Avoid Lexmarks, Canons, and Brothers.

I've seen it suggested that some Dell printers are re-badged Lexmarks.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:35 pm

I have an HP psc2115 that works fine as both scanner and printer with SuSE 9.2 (and worked fine with SuSE 8.2 as well).

It was a bit of a hassle to set up the scanner (command line stuff, not through Xsane or YAST), but once set up it works fine.

Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Help!