dual-booting with Vista...

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dual-booting with Vista...

Postby number1scatterbrain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:05 am

Can anyone recommend a clear explanation of how to go about dual-booting Linux with Windows Vista on an HP notebook?. There is a thread in one of the LXF Forums, but I'd like some more information before I take the Next Big Step. Apparently Vista has some mysterious method of reading CHS geometry that isn't fully understood.
number1scatterbrain

RE: dual-booting with Vista...

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:28 am

Please don't shout, especially at 4am.

Most Linux distros will take care of this automatically, defrag in Vista then boot your chosen distro's CD and run the installer. /most will resize the Vista partition and create those necessary for themselves with minimal input from you, and then set up the bootloader to dual boot. If you tell us which distro (quietly) we could be more specific.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Sorry...

Postby number1scatterbrain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:51 pm

I never connected bold font with shouting. My eyes aren't the best, that's why I tend to use "louder" font. Thanks for your reply.
number1scatterbrain

RE: Sorry...

Postby towy71 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:54 pm

if you hit Ctrl++ the font size in your browser will increase in size which might make seeing it better ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby number1scatterbrain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:43 pm

towy71 wrote:if you hit Ctrl++ the font size in your browser will increase in size which might make seeing it better ;-)
Nifty!
number1scatterbrain

Postby Marrea » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:44 pm

There's quite a good tutorialhere.

Last June I bought a laptop with Vista pre-installed and played around with, first, dual-booting Vista and XP and, second, triple-booting with Linux but gave up on Linux in the end because none of the distros I tried (and I installed a good few) would shut the laptop down, no matter what kernel parameters I tried - and that drives me mad. So I now use it for dual-booting Vista and XP.

Be warned though that Vista is a slightly different beast from XP as regards dual-booting. When I was playing around with it I used a utility called EasyBCD which worked quite well. This saves you having to struggle with the text-based bcdedit program, which takes some getting used to. But hopefully you won't need to get involved in that as Grub should work perfectly well. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby number1scatterbrain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:47 pm

I was in Wales (Flintshire/Mold) 10 years ago playing rugby(I'm from Pittsburgh in the US). We had a great time,
except for the final score, 64-10. Snowdonia was beautiful.
number1scatterbrain

Postby number1scatterbrain » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:00 pm

Thank you, Marrea,. Yes I've been reading about Vista's contrariness when dual-booting is attempted. Is there anyone who can advise as to whether it's better to dual-boot or perhaps to run Linux under Vista with Xen, as a virtual machine? Perhaps that's the best solution, but I'm very leery of experimenting with my only install of Vista. I'm no fan of Microsoft, but I do want to keep an install of Vista for reference purposes.
number1scatterbrain

Postby nelz » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 pm

When I bought this Advent laptop a few months ago, I used the option to create a recovery DVD, then ran the Ubuntu installer and everything Just Worked[tm], even the wireless and ACPI stuff.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 am

number1scatterbrain wrote:Is there anyone who can advise as to whether it's better to dual-boot or perhaps to run Linux under Vista with Xen, as a virtual machine?

Well, your Vista o.s. will certainly be much safer if you take the v.m. route and run Linux from that, particularly if you are a newcomer to Linux. On my laptop (a MiNote 8258D by the way) which refuses to shut down any distro, as a compromise I run Ubuntu from VirtualBox in Vista and that seems to work quite well. You won't get the same sort of performance as you would from a native install and you can forget about 3D graphics but it's an excellent way to get to know various distros, become acquainted with the installation procedure, etc. without fear of messing up your Windows.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby number1scatterbrain » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:04 pm

[quote="Marrea"][quote="number1scatterbrain"]Is there anyone who can advise as to whether itThanks again. Performance is important. I want to use Linux and my notebook as a guitar synthesizer instead of paying $900 US for a Roland guitar synthesizer. The other challenge will be connecting the hexaphonic guitar pickup with the notebook's soundcard, and then running it to an amplifier.
number1scatterbrain

Postby towy71 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:45 pm

I would think that as you are wanting music oriented stuff you should look at dynebolic which is
shaped on the needs of media activists, artists and creatives as a practical tool for multimedia production: you can manipulate and broadcast both sound and video with tools to record, edit, encode and stream
;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby number1scatterbrain » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:39 am

Thank you very much for the heads-up, towy71. Do you happen to know if anyone has created a real-time multi-instrument synthesizer, triggered by MIDI, with dynebolic? I will browse the dynebolic site, but anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated.
number1scatterbrain

Postby number1scatterbrain » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:47 am

I've just found the ZynAddSubFX section of Dyne:bolic's website, and it looks very promising. Thanks again!
number1scatterbrain

Return to Other OS