Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Ho

Postby A-Wing » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:44 pm

nelz wrote:The distro shouldn't have to support VMWare. VMWare are the people charging huge amounts of money for their software, it's up to them to ensure it works on the computers of the people they want to sell it to.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Personally I think the Workstation edition is way overpriced (although I did get v4.5 for £30).
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby ZebCarnell » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:40 pm

Yes I picked up mine from a friend second hand :wink: Bought it off him.
"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people." -- Linus Torvalds
ZebCarnell

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:51 am

It's worth noting, for those who've not tried QEMU recently, that it now has an accelerater module. This essentially makes it a virtual machine like VMware rather than an emulator -- so it's much, much faster. I do a lot of OS testing via QEMU and it rocks :-)

http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/qemu/qemu-accel.html

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:58 am

Has bochs got any better recently? I haven't tried it in a very long time.
Win4Lin is a good alternative to VMWare if you are looking for a commercial package. As far as I am aware if you are the member of a LUG your LUG admin should be able to get you a discount on it (was true a couple of years ago when I applied for our LUG to be part of the program)
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:02 am

Win4lin only runs Windows, so it's not really an alternative to VMWare/Qemu except for that one task.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:03 am

Bochs development appears to be stalled, although I haven't checked the mailing lists. From what some hobbyist OS devs have said, though, Bochs may be slower but it's better for debugging.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:10 am

nelz wrote:Win4lin only runs Windows, so it's not really an alternative to VMWare/Qemu except for that one task.

What other use would you have for VMWare workstation? to run Linux on Linux most people would use Xen or Linux Vserver.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Andy » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:16 am

Ho hum - ATI driver support is available from livna.org - have a look at fedorafaq.org for more details.

I've used it and it is painless... UT2004 seems to fly :)

Andy
Andy

Postby nelz » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:45 am

I use it to run Linux on Linux most of the time. Xen is not suitable for distro testing as it requires modified kernels. It also has the great advantage that you can suspend a running machine, much like suspending a laptop, so firing up a particular distro to check something is much faster. I have around a dozen VMs suspended and ready to fire up in a few seconds, only one of them is Windows.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ZebCarnell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:58 am

VMware has suspend as well :wink: . It would be good if VMware had DirectX support included. Then gamers could have Windows Running on Linux if they wanted to play their fave games that havent yet been made for Linux. But then there is always Cedega.
Is there another VM program that has DirectX support?
"In short: just say NO TO DRUGS, and maybe you won't end up like the Hurd people." -- Linus Torvalds
ZebCarnell

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:18 am

I know. Like I just said, I use it all the time :)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ZebCarnell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:04 am

Oh I thought you were Talking about Xen.... you have it all in one paragraph without mentioning VMware lolz.
ZebCarnell

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:16 am

If you read it in its context of a reply to A-Wing's question, it makes perfect sense. When dumped in with other posts, it's less clear. Another reason I prefer mailing lists to forums.
nelz
Site admin

Postby ZebCarnell » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:20 am

I use quoting when I can. That helps. I dont like mailing lists too much. It seems to turn to spam after the 254th email.
ZebCarnell

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:58 am

Only if they allow all and sundry to post without subscribing, but the same problem afflicted this forums. i can't remember the last time I saw spam on a mailing list.
nelz
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion