New online music service

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New online music service

Postby mathew.bevan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Recently, I saw a reference to a new music service called qtrax. It says that music will be free because its paid for by advertisers, and that it will directly compete with illegal P2P services. System requirements will be Windows Xp, Vista and Mac, however, it states that it is based on a Mozilla browser. Has anyone heard of this? Do you think it could be used on Linux in the future?
mathew.bevan

RE: New online music service

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:36 pm

Oh dear, first post and for a self-confessed paid for by ads site. Do I detect the aroma of processed meat products? I think I'm going to delete the url you give.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:31 pm

oink oink oink :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ollie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:14 am

Actually this has hit the newspapers today as well. It actually looks like a legit download competitor to iTunes with a similar number of songs. The problem - Windows XP/Vista client software required!

IMHO piracy occurs because companies over value their products. Radiohead offered an "honesty download" and the average amount paid was about GBP8 (I don't have one of those funny shaped money things :wink: ). The minimum amount was accepted was zero cost. This indicates that consumers acceptable price for an album is GBP8, not the GBP9 to GBP14 or more advertised on Virgin Music UK.

We'll just have to see if this is a success for long enough to get Linux client, after the Mac client in two months :(
ollie

Postby nelz » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:04 pm

I'm suspicious of free services that require you to run special software. Who knows what information that software is gathering in order to further finance the service.

If you want to take the chance, try running the Windows software in WINE or a virtual machine.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ollie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:46 am

I'll definitely be waiting for the Linux version and looking at the traffic with wireshark if it's not encrypted. There are too many cases of rootkits, privacy intrusion, etc from the music industry just to blindly trust them. I've got a sneaky suspicion that this will be tied down with Vista DRM or worse.
ollie

Return to Announcements