LINDOWS 4.5 or even 4: Anyone have an installable copy?

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LINDOWS 4.5 or even 4: Anyone have an installable copy?

Postby Aquafire » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:39 am

Back in the olde days, there was a company called that created "Lindows"

It was bold and daring..and then it got kinda run over by MS...

Anyway..as a David & Goliath story, Lindows 4.5 is as good as it gets..

I know there is Freespire 2...but compared to olde Lindows, it loads like a wet weekend..

I am hoping some of my fellow posters will help me relive the memories..and give my olde Compaq Deskpro a leg up ...speed wise..

So....

Has anyone got a copy of Lindows 4.5 "developers' iso issue...that they can spare, no longer want, or could burn to cd...? Not the 'demo' version, but the installable to HDD version.

I have Lindows 'Demo 4', but afasik, it can't be installed.

I really would like to get my hands on a 4.5, which seems to be infintely faster still...

PM if you can help.

Thanks guys.

Aquafire
Aquafire

RE: LINDOWS 4.5 or even 4: Anyone have an installable copy?

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:51 am

Is that distro freely redistributable?

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:47 am

I don't think so. There was a free-for-non-commercial-use-special-offer download available, but it was not free in the RMS sense of the word.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Aquafire » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 pm

Mike wrote:Is that distro freely redistributable?

Can't see why not..

At the time it was produced, it was freely downloadable. Lindows even posted it out to users.

In the present circumstances, such older distros, should still be freely re~distributable; most particularly where the person who has a developers copy and uses it for non commercial purposes.

I have not read the detailed agreement between Lindows and MS, but I am pretty sure, that Lindows was never asked by MS to recall all the Lindows CD's it had sent out across the world. Nor was it asked to trace all the downloaded copies. All it was asked to do, was to re~badge the product.

Under the circumstances, I am not asking the former Lindows company to burn a copy, nor is any money going to exchange hands, (other than to cover postage and the cost of the Cd disk itself), then it should not be a problem.

Finally, I stress, I have no intention of redistributing this distro for monetary gain, nor am I even intending going on the net while running it.

It is as I said, more than anything, a way of keeping my old machine running.

Aquafire

PS:

Come to think of it, this whole matter now raises a hairy problem; that of past distros, that are being distrubuted or have been distributed, that are no longer covered by new legal agreements.

EG. Other than Lindows, is it illegal to use SUSE 9, now that Novell has signed and agreement with MS...etc...?

Maybe this should be covered in a magazine topic...????
Aquafire

Postby nelz » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:55 am

Lindows could be downloaded free of charge for a limited time, that id not make it freely distributable.

As for SUSE9, the licence in force is the one that came withit, it can't be changed retrospectively. Novell can change the licence terms for later releases, which they did by releasing more of the code under the GPL. Many of the older distros were far more restrictive in terms of distribution than the current crop, which is why you didn't see SUSE 7/8/9, Red Hat 9 or Lindows on LXF cover discs, and you'd have had to look very closely to find Red Hat 8.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Other OS