A two-edged sword. I'm speechless.

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A two-edged sword. I'm speechless.

Postby spottedcat » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:08 am

This is priceless. Seemingly, Micro$oft have come up with a slogan for their Vista marketing campaign. You can see it here.

WARNING for those of a nervous disposition: the link is to the Micro$oft website. Sorry :oops:

With an ad slogan like that they don't need the OS itself to put people off. I wonder which bright spark thought that one up.

It reminds me of the early 70s (yes, I am that old :( ) when the big breweries were buying up and closing all the small ones, and perfectly good beers were being irretrievably lost. That was when CAMRA started up. (That's the CAMpaign for Real Ale - explanation for our overseas friends.). Then Watneys, one of the big breweries, brought out one of those over-fizzy synthetic-tasting keg beers which they called Red Barrel. You couldn't get away from it, nor the accompanying ad campaign with the slogan "Watneys Red Barrel - worth passing a few pubs for".

Inspired. I wonder which bright spark..... :) So CAMRA started their own campaign with the slogan - "Watneys Red Barrel - worth passing a few pubs for".

Goodbye Red Barrel - Hello real ale.

So - back to topic - can you list 100 reasons why you'll be speechless with Vista?
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: A two-edged sword. I

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:16 am

Who wouldn't be left speechless with features like these?

Microsoft wrote:63. Help is always available

Whether you're a first-time user or an expert, the built-in Help System is designed to aid you in quickly learning new tasks, providing step-by-step support, and solving problems that Windows Vista has not automatically taken care of for you.

Incredible! Built-in help! I barely know what to say. Surely this will take computing in completely new directions.

Microsoft has dropped many clangers with Vista, and adding hysterical amounts of hyperbole to the marketing materials won't help...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: A two-edged sword. I

Postby ollie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:21 am

I like:

7. Because you can freeze time

Everything stopping on your computer is a Top Ten Feature!

20. Set up your home network in a flash

I have set up a Vista PC at work, so teachers can try using Vista and Office 2007, and after 5 weeks we still can't get rid of the red cross that says we "can't connect to the Internet. Contact your ISP ...". We are happily browsing with Firefox, suffering IE7, doing Microsoft Updates, using CoreFTP and so on, but we can't get rid of the red cross. So some mug punter is going to contact his ISP to fix Vista?

25. It works with the software, hardware, and services you want

So I've been imagining the choked forums with complaints about hardware not working :?

Sorry, that is as far as I got!
ollie

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:28 pm

shouldn't this be in the other o/s forum rather than here?? i love m$ 8)
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:09 pm

I think this campaign has been launched in anticipation of Leopard (at the end of the week) which truly does look impressive (if we choose to ignore both the cheesey e-mail templates and M0PHP's likely opinion).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pootman » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:48 pm

I've only read as far as thirty, and I've seen Aero and Media Center mentioned several times.

So I can use Vista to actually watch and listen to files on my computer?

Wow. Speechless doesn't even come close.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:13 pm

Well, you'd hardly need to speak, with all that listening and viewing you'd be doing (they could make up a song about that, the Vista song, I can hardly wait).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:51 pm

Vi$ta we love you, Vi$ta we do...
One day we'll be old and grey, because of you...
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:28 pm

What? Me? Opinion on Leopard? Pffft :P
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:29 pm

M0PHP wrote:What? Me? Opinion on Leopard? Pffft :P

That's about what I thought you'd say ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby sledgehammer » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:20 am

Cracking job guys. All the mickey taking has made m$ remove the page, which is a bit of a shame as I wanted to read it.

John
sledgehammer

Postby nelz » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:53 am

It's still working here, or you could Google for "100 Reasons You'll Be Speechless" and read the cached version.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pootman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:54 am

Maybe the server went down, as the world rushed to see why they need Vista.

Anyway, the fish are back in the barrel.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 am

ollie wrote:
>>
I like:

7. Because you can freeze time

Everything stopping on your computer is a Top Ten Feature!
>>

(grin), yes :D
It's a bit like being told that getting clubbed on the head with a dead wombat is somehow good for you :)

>>
25. It works with the software, hardware, and services you want
>>

I would guess they mean the things they have been educating people to want.
Ads irritate me but i'll read it any way. So far it looks pretty much like it's in the same style they always use. Probably best for people to turn off all images/sound etc, if they have those things available. damn flashing lights and sublime messages, it wouldn't surprise. That Ronald MacDonald character is bad enough as it is already.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:42 am

jjmac wrote:Probably best for people to turn off all images/sound etc, if they have those things available. damn flashing lights and sublime messages, it wouldn't surprise. That Ronald MacDonald character is bad enough as it is already.

jm

Hurrah! You're back!
pootman
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic