OpenSUSE10.3 released

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby Ram » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:22 pm

Rhakios wrote:[

Look at the beard sonny,

Cheers, I'll take that as a compliment :)

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby Rhakios » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:26 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
A few limbs? last time I looked, most people only have 4, and a few is at least 3 :-)

Here we go again:

Few \Few\ (f[=u]), a. [Compar. Fewer (f[=u]"[~e]r); superl.
Fewest.] [OE. fewe, feawe, AS. fe['a], pl. fe['a]we; akin
to OS. f[=a]h, OHG. f[=o] fao, Icel. f[=a]r, Sw. f[*a], pl.,
Dan. faa, pl., Goth. faus, L. paucus, cf. Gr. pay^ros. Cf.
Paucity.]
Not many; small, limited, or confined in number; --
indicating a small portion of units or individuals
constituting a whole; often, by ellipsis of a noun, a few
people. "Are not my days few?" --Job x. 20.
[1913 Webster]

Few know and fewer care. --Proverb.
[1913 Webster]

Note: Few is often used partitively; as, few of them.
[1913 Webster]

A few, a small number.

In few, in a few words; briefly. --Shak.

No few, not few; more than a few; many. --Cowper.

The few, the minority; -- opposed to the many or the
majority.
[1913 Webster]

So, I have always taken it to be a small number greater than 1, so that's 2 or more. Besides, it depends on how much of the limb you lose.
Cap'n Rum had lost both legs, if he'd had a hook hand as well, then that would have counted as three.

Anyway, I've already lost both wings and my halo :(
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:44 am

Ah, but common usage is "a couple" for 2, and "a few" for 3 or more ;-)

And is a hand a limb?
limb (definition)
(all of limb, there is 1 more in this node)
(definition) by Webster 1913 (print) Wed Dec 22 1999 at 0:53:22

Limb (?), n. [OE. lim, AS. lim; akin to Icel. limr limb, lim branch of a tree, Sw. & Dan. lem limb; cf. also AS. li, OHG. lid, gilid, G. glied, Goth. lipus. Cf. Lith, Limber.]

A part of a tree which extends from the trunk and separates into branches and twigs; a large branch.

An arm or a leg of a human being; a leg, arm, or wing of an animal.

A second Hector for his grim aspect, And large proportion of his strong-knit limbs. Shak.

A thing or person regarded as a part or member of, or attachment to, something else.

Shak.

That little limb of the devil has cheated the gallows. Sir W. Scott.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:20 pm

nordle wrote:The trouble with p2p is, well, it requires p's, and preferably more than 2.

After titting about around 20k/sec, I bumbled off to an ftp site and am happily downloading (selfishly) at 475k/sec And given that I've also got zenwalk 4.8 coming down the pipe at 90k/sec, it would probably be quicker still.

joy.

I guess if the servers put more stringent caps/limits on bandwidth per connection, then it would encourage more torrent use and this would get the speed up.

Odd, I was getting around 120K, Downloading the 32 bit DVD ( the 64bit one was slower at around 60k). and I was downloading the 2 dvds and the KDE CD at the same time :-)

I usually let Azureus run at night, because it sucks bandwidth otherwise, also t'other side of the pond is quieter.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby overflow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:43 pm

The main problems with 10.2 for me was one sound device was incorrectly identified so the wrong driver was used. ALSA/kmix between them couldn't cope with 2 audio devices.

Also, USB support was broken in lots of ways. I couldn't get a USB printer to work at all and USB hubs failed in odd ways. All these things worked on the same systems under Kubuntu, it has to be said.

Still. I couldn't put up with Kubuntu any longer, so I've put up with the problems.

Sadly, I've tried a USB hub on 10.3 and it still doesn't work so I'm a bit fed up.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Oct 08, 2007 5:03 pm

Must be the hub- all the USB kit I have plugged in so far works fine, including 2 cheap hubs..

Mind you , I had to buy a PCMCIA USB card for my laptop, many things failed on the built-in hub, on Windoze as well as Suse.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:56 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Ah, but common usage is "a couple" for 2, and "a few" for 3 or more ;-)

Common to you, not to me.

And is a hand a limb?
limb (definition)
(all of limb, there is 1 more in this node)
(definition) by Webster 1913 (print) Wed Dec 22 1999 at 0:53:22

Limb (?), n. [OE. lim, AS. lim; akin to Icel. limr limb, lim branch of a tree, Sw. & Dan. lem limb; cf. also AS. li, OHG. lid, gilid, G. glied, Goth. lipus. Cf. Lith, Limber.]

A part of a tree which extends from the trunk and separates into branches and twigs; a large branch.

An arm or a leg of a human being; a leg, arm, or wing of an animal.

A second Hector for his grim aspect, And large proportion of his strong-knit limbs. Shak.

A thing or person regarded as a part or member of, or attachment to, something else.

Shak.

That little limb of the devil has cheated the gallows. Sir W. Scott.

Maybe true, but try saying to someone who has lost their hand, "Oh come on, it's not as if you've lost an entire limb".
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby pootman » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:57 pm

I never thought it would be fast, but it's even giving Gentoo a kick up the backside on my 1.2GHz laptop.

It installs software in less time than it takes to prepare and serve a three course meal (for small stuff gentoo and 10.2 were about even).

And Gods be praised, you can install ndiswrapper from the install disc, without 5CDs!
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby overflow » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 pm

Rhakios wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Ah, but common usage is "a couple" for 2, and "a few" for 3 or more ;-)

Common to you, not to me.

Couple is two and is related to the verb to couple - to join two things together. Any other number is simply wrong, however uncommon it seems to you.
overflow
overflow
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:33 pm

The word at issue is "few", keep up.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:57 pm

I might be wrong, but who cares (edit: just to clarify, who cares if I'm wrong is what I meant, not who cares about this thread.....although having said that, its a bit daft).

Anyway, the bit that I'm probably wrong about. Is this a Midlands / anywhere north of Watford thing?

I've always believed a few to mean 3, not in a concrete do or die kind of way. I mean, if someone told me they had a few problems trying to complete a task, I don't expect the number to be 3, just more than 2.

But 9/10, if someone tells me they left a few biscuits in the jar, I would expect to see 3 (but not be surpirsed to see >3).

But talking to a bloke from Brimingham, and he refused to accept that if someone talked about a few, that their primary thought would be 3. He would consider 12 to be a few where as I would not.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby dwjs1974 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:20 pm

OPensuse and cookies mmmmm :)
I have reinstalled opensuse10.3 due to configuration problems with my drive..

Dont like the green... I liked it much better when it was blue....
just for you word buffs see if you can see the mistake on the media check screen....

If you find it send me a pint of beer :)
Great Scott this is heavy.
Opensuse11.1 1gig ram
Dave the Rave
dwjs1974
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby Rhakios » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:55 pm

nordle wrote:But talking to a bloke from Brimingham, and he refused to accept that if someone talked about a few, that their primary thought would be 3. He would consider 12 to be a few where as I would not.

12!? A dozen? I suppose it might depend on the context, a few out of possible hundreds might be expected to be more than a few out of 10.

Arguing that because a couple is 2, that a few cannot be is clearly fallacious, after all what is a pair? By the same logic, if a pair is 2, then a couple cannot be.
I'm sticking with my view that a few is a number greater than or equal to 2, but probably not more than you could count on your fingers (assuming you have a full set but don't suffer from polydactyly) and so I shan't be commenting further on the subject.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:42 pm

Not to throw oil on the fire, but I do know people who use "a couple" to mean anything up to 12.
(Especially in the pub on a Friday night) :-)

I always assume that anything more than 2 is "a few" , just to remove confusion.
i.e. "I only had a couple of drinks" as against "he's had a few" ;-)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:56 pm

Anyone else noticed that gapcmon isn't behaving as it used to?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements