Sad day at work :(

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Sad day at work :(

Postby donoreo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:54 pm

There are going to be about 30 people let go here today. Guess who gets to go collect their laptops, Blackberries and cell phones?

At least it is sunny, we have not seen the sun in about two weeks here in Toronto.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

RE: Sad day at work :(

Postby towy71 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 pm

Always an unpleasant task, my wife works in personnel and moans about that stuff a lot :-(
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Sad day at work :(

Postby donoreo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:59 pm

Our VP of HR is here from head office. She said she felt sick earlier before she started. She still drank her Tim Horton's coffee (it is a Canadian thing).
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:28 pm

As a person whos been on the bad end of one of these before I know what you mean it is a horrible task.
Hello
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:31 am

I don't think there is a bad end. They are both bad ends. I've had friends walked to the door and yielding their security cards without so much as a chance to bid farewell to teammates. Sucks.

Off topic from the off-topic topic: What is a "Tim Horton's coffee"?
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:46 am

is this what you're looking for?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby donoreo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 6:07 pm

kilikopele wrote:Off topic from the off-topic topic: What is a "Tim Horton's coffee"?
It would be Coffee from Tim Horton's :) Some people are just adicted to the stuff, but myself I find it weak, yet bitter. I do not drink coffee anymore (green tea only for me and diet Coke for caffiene).

There are thousands (over 2900 according to their website) of locations in Canada. TH is moving into the US, so watch out!
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:00 am

Ah. Got it. Nothing but Caribou, Meeting Grounds, or Alakev for me. I stick with local roasters. I've managed to avoid the great green enterprise coffee so far, I don't see myself jumping in for Tim Hortons either.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby filth » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 pm

looks like next year I will be having a bad day at work. I work for a company called NCR in their Dundee factory and it looks like they are determined to downscale the factory (if not close down altogether). Last year we were told a Hungary factory would not be opening, that factory was already open and getting ready to output units at that point. Now they have basically stolen most of our (in fact next year going by projections they will be have 150%+ more orders than us.

Got to the stage now where all people can hope for is a good pay off.
filth

Postby filth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:02 pm

it finally happened. Was told i wold be redundant by middle of this year http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 250451.stm

The CEO didn't even have the balls to tell us himself so he made a video and sent his monkey over to do his dirty work.
filth

Postby MartyBartfast » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:46 pm

filth wrote:it finally happened. Was told i wold be redundant by middle of this year http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 250451.stm

The CEO didn't even have the balls to tell us himself so he made a video and sent his monkey over to do his dirty work.

That's a tough break & I expect it's gonna have a knock on effect across Dundee too.

Hope you have luck finding something else.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby catgate » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:34 pm

filth wrote:it finally happened. Was told i wold be redundant by middle of this year http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tay ... 250451.stm

It's a tragedy that our esteemed leader is so spineless that he agrees with every one. Dubya, on "Globalisation", the useless EC, on free labour movement, and big business on maximising profits in order to have fat cats who can pay his slack jawed sidekick all those obscene taxes. And of course all his cronies who need their "fix".
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:33 pm

There is not a good end of the stick, I have had to fire people, and make them redundant.
It made me ill every time, even when they deserved to be fired because of their laziness, misbehaviour or incompetence.

Could be worse, I had en engineer at a job interview who was sacked via text message.

Apparently it was something like this:

"Pls return your vehicle,tools, laptop and all relevant paperwork to the office tomorrow. Due to managmnt reorgnation, you are now redundant"
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby filth » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:41 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:Could be worse, I had en engineer at a job interview who was sacked via text message.

Apparently it was something like this:

"Pls return your vehicle,tools, laptop and all relevant paperwork to the office tomorrow. Due to managmnt reorgnation, you are now redundant"

If that was me I would have taken it further. An employer has a responsibility to tell you in a civilized manner.

Dundee is devastated after this. In march the Tesco distribution center is closing down (being moved elsewhere) they claim to move it to somewhere more central in Scotland but it just so happens the new rate of pay is lower. Michelin is making 100 redundant and i think a company called the woodhouse group are paying off 50.

Many NCR suppliers will be hit hard, a company called DSS Packaging sent half of their staff home yesterday as they had no work (most of their work is for NCR). Texol (used to be a part of NCR but had an employee buy out) although they have secured work from other firms alot of their work is still for NCR (anyone who likes Ice Hockey may have heard of the Texol Allstars, they are sponsored by Texol hence the name)
filth

Postby catgate » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:54 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:There is not a good end of the stick, I have had to fire people, and make them redundant.
It made me ill every time, even when they deserved to be fired because of their laziness, misbehaviour or incompetence.

That is very interesting. I thought it was just me that suffered like that. It could make me badly for days, but it had to be hidden.
Happily, at well past the three score and ten mark, it is all in the past.
Oh, sod it.
catgate
LXF regular

Next

Return to Off Topic