LAN via a plug socket?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LAN via a plug socket?

Postby Deke » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:41 pm

I'd seen so many attempts to utilise the mains for uses it was never intended for that I thought they'd given up on it.

The thing is, did I read the article right? I plug one of those dohickeys into the mains and plug my Speedtouch into it, then I plug my computer into another one, and I can forget about the cats constantly trying to chew through the cable, and my mother can get one of her own and share my connection?

Is it really that easy or did I miss something?

I was drooling over the Optiva, but this seems too good to miss, after all, my storage, webcam, and printer are all working just fine...

Sorry it's not a really serious question, but there isn't a forum for semi-serious stuff. Why not? Don't you like alliteration or something?
Deke

RE: LAN via a plug socket?

Postby Erin » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:55 pm

No you didn't miss anything. dLAN works and is simple but WLAN is far cheaper and broader in bandwidth terms.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:26 pm

As the article pointed out, WLAN suffers greatly from walls, this has greater range. It would seem to complement wireless very well, a couple of these and a second WAP should give much greater coverage for a WLAN.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Erin » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:52 am

Very much nelz unless you have lots of appliances on your dLAN, which will drop bandwidth, and you are requiring file sharing and a true LAN feature set. That will suffer because of the effective throttling. However, for sharing a broadband connection and surfing the 'Net etcetera, it seems idea. I would quantify that careful placement of a WAN access point, even using dLAN to place the WLAN AP in a better position to give greater coverage will be more profitable. After all, 802.11g is 54Mbps and the non-standard Super-G is 108Mbps.

Regards, Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:09 pm

Yes, it does work really well. Bandwidth could become a problem if you hang too many devices off it, but to be fair, broadband speeds are 1 to 2 gb, so this could easily handle three or four PCs sharing a broadband connection.
There is a new, faster version on the way too.
evilnick

Return to Help!