Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:25 pm

We've been having a clearout at home, and have dug up Amiga Format issues 33 to 88 inclusive, all in pretty good condition.

These are surplus to requirements, and we need the room, so if anybody is interested in them send me a private message and you can have them. I don't want any money for the magazines, but would ask that you either collect them or reimburse me for the postage to send them to you.
We also have a selection of other Amiga mags (CU Amiga, Amiga Power, Amiga Computing) from the same era, although Amiga Format was the only one we subscribed to, - if you want them you can have these as well.

We think we might have the cover disks somewhere as well, we just haven't found them yet...

As we need the space, if nobody has expressed an interest by next weekend (3rd March) they're going in the recycling.
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Postby Nigel » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:58 pm

No takers ?
If nobody's interested, they're going to the recycling centre in the morning...
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:25 am

<sigh>... OK, guess nobody's interested. I'm off to fill the paper bank up...
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Postby GermanFafian » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:54 am

Nigel wrote:<sigh>... OK, guess nobody's interested. I'm off to fill the paper bank up...

I just found this thread and even though I am not interested in these I think TC Conrardy might be interested. He's a big fan of amiga OS and has a collection of these machines (he's also famous for his Synth patches and stuff. I will try and find his e-mail (or google him up. He has an Amiga web page I think) if you still have the mags.
GermanFafian

RE: Re: RE: Amiga Format Magazines - Free to good home

Postby GermanFafian » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:58 am

Ooops! Sorry but he is a fan of Atari only or at least seems so.
I just dug out his web site and it is about atari. Sorry for the mistake.
GermanFafian

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 pm

The reason I posted here is that at least one of the LXF staff used to work on Amiga Format, and I just wondered if they'd be interested. Although they probably have their own collections in better condition than ours (were) anyhow.

The Amiga vs Atari rivalry was almost as bad as the KDE vs Gnome or emacs vs vi ones (although the Amiga was by far the superior machine :D)
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:33 pm

If you have the cover cds, my collection is short of 3, I would be willing to pay postage if you have them.
I am in cornwall at the moment, back home tomorrow.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:37 pm

Sorry wylie, they're too old for cover CDs... these all came with diskettes. We do have several diskette boxes full of Amiga cover diskettes, but we haven't gone through them yet so I'm not sure which ones we have and which (if any) we want to keep - the A500+ is still boxed up in the loft, along with several big boxes of games - it was my better half's first computer, and she can't yet bring herself to part with it (especially after seeing how little they're going for on ebay :()

If you really meant diskettes and not CDs, let me know which issues and I'll see if we have them. There might even be time to rescue the mags to go with them - I didn't get as far as the paper bank this weekend and the mags are still in the back of the car... they will be going by Thursday at the very latest.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:54 am

AHHH! Such a waste! I was doing a bit of searching for whatnot and this popped up; I hope I’m not too late. I’m actually surprised you haven’t listed them on eBay; you would have made a few bob as there are many collectors out there including myself. So if you are still willing to part with them I’d be very happy and grateful to take them off your hands providing they’re not being pulped as we speak of course (crosses fingers)… Let me know how much the postage for them is and please contact me via email for an address etc. I would also like to take this opportunity to let everyone reading this that these old magazines are highly sought after in the various online communities that are interested in retro computing and that any old publications are most definitely wanted and to see them binned is such a shame. Thank you to you Nigel and all who would take this fact on board.
MagikGimp

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:01 am

Hi MagikGimp...
You're in luck... they're in the back of the car, but I haven't made it to the recycling point yet. I'll hold off for the moment :)
I looked on ebay, there were a bunch of Amiga Formats there, all from the same person, but none of them had any bids so I figured it wasn't worth the listing fee. Maybe I just looked at the wrong time.

I'll send you a private message with my email address and we can take it from there.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby MagikGimp » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:09 am

ADDITIONAL: Please let me know if there is any thing else retro computer related you are willing to pass on. After the rush to post my previous message before you ditched the magazines I re-read what you said and I’d be interested in any discs you also have (after wyliecoyoteuk has taken his pick of course having had first requests). Believe me eBay is an option worth considering, a better one to loss in a trash-compactor anyway. And as for your wife, tell her she should be proud of her ‘clutter’; you sure you really need all that potentially newly acquirable empty space anyway?
MagikGimp

Postby mrguitarmann » Wed May 16, 2007 7:21 pm

Do you still have these? I just bought an Amiga 1200 on eBay...?
mrguitarmann

Postby Nigel » Wed May 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Sorry, mrguitarman, they went to a good home (MagikGimp).
They were mostly from the A500/A500+/A600 era anyhow, not too much A1200 related in them as far as I can recall.

We've still got the wife's A500+ - we dig it out every once in a while and play some of the games. It's still a good machine, although last time it was out I was struck by how clunky the joysticks feel compared with the control pads on the Gamecube. Suppose I should expect some improvements in 15 years :D
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Announcements