Final year student feature?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Final year student feature?

Postby SFA_AOK » Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:10 am

Hi there,

I'm on a work placement away from my Computing degree and will be returning to Uni in late September for my final year. There are pieces of software I recommend to friends but the initial learning curve can put them off; for example, using LaTex for the write up of a final year project vs. using word. I was thinking there are a number of tools that a student may want to use but may not have a chance to get up to speed with in the chaos of the final year and a couple of short guides to things like LaTex or code repository software such as CVS might be useful for some people.

*Insert original "keep up the good work on the great magazine" quote here :) *
SFA_AOK

RE: Final year student feature?

Postby andychannelle » Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:12 pm

While I was writing academic stuff, two of the most useful applications I found were KDissert, which is a sort of mind mapping app, and TuxCards which is useful for designing the structure of essays and other written projects.

Andy
andychannelle
LXF regular

RE: Final year student feature?

Postby bigbee » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:26 pm

I have just finished the report of my final year project. I've used lynx, a graphical frontend to latex. Although I have also written in pure 'raw' LateX, I can every student recommend Lyx because of it's low learning curve. Even my partner with whom I made my project, a dedicated windows user, was convinced of the power and ease of use of Lyx because it does all the editing for you (stuff word-users would spend endless hours off updating chapter titles, adjusting imagesettings...). Because you can work in a graphical environment it doesn't feel as akward as code-like pure latex. So my friend is now using and recommending lyx to everyone... talking about Free Software advocacy ;-)
bigbee

Postby wiz » Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:36 pm

If you do try Lyx, and I recommend that you do, read the documentation to find out what it really does.

The first time I tried it I recoiled in horror because it seemed like an extremely useless text editor. It was only later on when I clicked on a few menu choices that I discovered by chance what it can really do.
It is brilliant for writing formatted documents which can be converted to pdf, html, postscript & many other formats.
wiz
LXF regular

Yes, a LaTex tutorial please!

Postby LXFRulz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:59 pm

I work as a tech-writer, and I'm forced to use Word to create huge Tech-manuals, but I'm always amazed how open source software can have a truly integrated help manual, like KDE, with all of the different programs in one table, and you can click on it, and get help on a specific program, or call it from within the program it'self.

LaTex and Lyx looks really cool.
So, yes please, a LaTex/Lyx tutorial would be great!
________
box vaporizer
________
california dispensaries
Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LXFRulz

Re: Yes, a LaTex tutorial please!

Postby nordle » Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:46 pm

LXFRulz wrote:LaTex and Lyx looks really cool.
So, yes please, a LaTex/Lyx tutorial would be great!

Absolutely, this would be great, I think its been mentioned before. But its useful in so many areas, would be great to see a nice set of tutorials.
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs