Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

IS IE7 a dog or what?

cute puppy
No votes
likeable hound
No votes
scruffy mongrel
17%
soona dog (sooner do it on the carpet......)
17%
rabid werewolf
58%
cunningly disguised bloodhound
8%

Total votes : 12

IS IE7 a dog or what?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:31 pm

Well, I looked at IE7,( and it is popping up everywhere, mainly due to autoupdates), so I had to).

Superficially, it looks and acts a little like Firefox (tabbed browsing, live bookmarks etc)

BUT it still has many of the things that annoyed me about IE6 (and 5, which was such a howling dog that we can still hear the echoes).

Once you scratch the skin, it is just a superficially reskinned and tweaked verion of IE6, with a few bugfixes thrown in.

It still has the auto-completion and focus-switching annoyances, and some of the same bugs, with some new annoyances thrown in.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: IS IE7 a dog or what?

Postby towy71 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:56 pm

I don't know what you were expecting, everything that Microparp have put out since Win98 has been a kludge :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M0PHP » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:01 pm

What pisses me off about the updates to recent MS apps is the bloody skin mode that can't be turned off. (You know, so you end up with a consistent user interface in Windows, inline with the theme you choose...). Messenger does it as well, and it has loads of wasted pixel space around the edges of the dialogs, and removes the menu bar just like in IE7. WTF is all that about??

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry.
Image Image Image
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby candy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 pm

It's a dog! and I can say that.

I find whenever I've had to use it, it reminds of why I chose Firefox instead.
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Postby godofthedevil » Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:27 pm

well since i use linux, i dont use MSIE (much).. i did try MSIE for like 10mins hated it and got rid of it via system restore.. well m$ wont let you roll back normally.. i think MSIE7 is trying badly to rip off Firefox, but for me firefox is the DB of web browsing. shame 80% of the web surfing population dont see that.. then again they are not aware or just are lazy to try something new. its like someone finding a quicker route home then using a old way that you know.. i would like to try the new route..
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Postby OnlyTheTony » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:05 pm

As someone who is involved in web development IE7 is only marginally better than IE6 (in that it now recognises PNG alpha channels). 5/6 years of development and it's still falls way short of Firefox in terms of both standards compliancy and functionality.
If at first you don't succeed, call it v1.0
OnlyTheTony
LXF regular

Postby sunix » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:38 pm

tnx
sunix

Postby kilikopele » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:21 pm

Oh, you're going to be angry at me. I'm a Firefox/Thunderbird user from way back, BUT...

You can call IE7 a lot of things, but it starts up faster than Firefox on both of my Windows systems than FF does. IE6 used to be about the same startup time. Dog or not, there are some speed tweaks under the hood.

I should, laughingly, point out though that-despite the MS position that you can always uninstall and easily revert back to IE6, both of my systems refused to uninstall it. It was like a cancer that killed the host when I tried to remove it.
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby TheDoctor » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:21 pm

IEx always loads faster than Firefox, since it gets loaded when you start Windows up. (Note, this does not apply to Windows 3.1, just in case anyone wants to be pedantic. :P )
TheDoctor
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:28 am

wyliecoyoteuk
>>
Well, I looked at IE7,( and it is popping up everywhere, mainly due to autoupdates), so I had to).
>>

Good 'ol M$ -=- they will of course flag it as being just so popular (grin)

v5/6 ripped the guts out of my osr2 -=- still haven't gotten over that yet.

jm

cropped up on the short wave dial, late last sunday night, it was very light, tried to gain it up but still a bit scratchy ---
"screechhspuuutcraccckleee luto is a planet screeeeetchspuuttt were very pissed off sputtttcracccckkkleee you lot just wai sppuuuttttlecraaaacccccssss" ...
the transmission then just dimmed out ???
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:36 pm

Surely it is Firefox that is the dog, or at least a canid of some variety :?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby jjmac » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:40 am

Not a dog, a fungus type thing. As it has those tenticle type things that spread far and grip hard. Thinking a bit on the 'blob' there too.
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: IS IE7 a dog or what?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:44 am

kilikopele wrote:Oh, you're going to be angry at me. I'm a Firefox/Thunderbird user from way back, BUT...

You can call IE7 a lot of things, but it starts up faster than Firefox on both of my Windows systems than FF does. IE6 used to be about the same startup time. Dog or not, there are some speed tweaks under the hood.

It starts quickly, but then takes ages to load our intranet page(locked as home on our users' browsers), whereas FF loads it almost instantly.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: IS IE7 a dog or what?

Postby kilikopele » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Well, Uncle Bill would say you must have something coded incorrectly. You should be using the official (read: Proprietary) "Windows-quicker HTML" which is available in our $2000 developer's kit.
kilikopele
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: IS IE7 a dog or what?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:18 pm

I think that it is actually that IE insists on checking for a proxy before it loads the home page, despite proxy settings being disabled. (we use a transparent proxy on our firewall). Or it might be because it is an Apache server. FF just goes straight to it.
It is a very simple index page. with about 8 links to other pages, and our company logo.
After the first page, they are about the same speed.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS