(solved) gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

(solved) gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby Lancer » Tue May 24, 2005 8:42 pm

I'm installing FC2 on a set of computers in school. Updating using synaptic. On returning to the computer I found it crashed and when I reset, got "X respawning to fast" errors.

After playing with xorg.conf, I decided to switchdesk KDE (instead of Gnome).

I can launch KDE fine but Gnome programs are bust as shown:
[lancer@localhost lancer]$ gimp
Code: Select all
gimp: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
[lancer@localhost lancer]$

Fine. I figure the missing package is part of gtk2. As synaptic will no longer launch due to the same error above, I decide to use command line...
[root@localhost root]# apt-get install gtk2
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be upgraded
  gtk2
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 109 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/4623kB of archives.
After unpacking 1464kB of additional disk space will be used.
Committing changes...
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:gtk2                   ########################################### [100%]
error: unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.400.14;426dd97d: cpio: read
W: Some errors occurred while running transaction

Damn. I go into www.pbone.net and look for gtk2. The found RPM conflicts with already installed version and won't letr me install. The prior version won't uninstall because too manythings depend on it.

What do I do now?
Last edited by Lancer on Tue May 31, 2005 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lancer
LXF regular

RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby Flea » Tue May 24, 2005 8:59 pm

The single time I tried Fedora (it was FC2) I found updating with synaptic killed the machine. It was a long time ago so i I could be wrong but it might have been exactly the same problem you have found!

My dad uses Fedora and he also found FC2 buggy in this area. Apparently all is well with FC3 so you might want to install that version instead. Alternatively wait a little longer, FC4 should be out soon!

If you would rather fix the version you have I can't help you, sorry, this is exaclty why I stay away from RPM based distros :roll: :lol:

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby jjmac » Thu May 26, 2005 2:34 am

FC2 !!! did they ever fix the 'parted' program that their installer was using to bugger up so many peoples dual XP boots, by scrambling their geometry configurations with the 2.6.x kernel series, last year. Or did they leave that to FC3 (beware.png)(grin.png). That fiasco sure destroyed any faith i may have had for Fedora.

>>
The prior version won't uninstall because too manythings depend on it.
>>

I'd download the required package(s) first, so that the install will be local. Then i'd look for what ever switches are available to over-ride depenency blocks in the manager system your using. Such as '--ignore-depends=' in dpkg. Different for your manager of course.

Then i would script it, and then uninstall the old version, then immediatly install the new. As long as you don't start anything that needs the particular library, it should work fine. after all, it's just wiping it from disk, then putting it back and shouldn't interfer with anything thats already loaded.

jm

-|-   If the system is the answer, then the question
                            must have been really stupid               -|-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby mugstar » Thu May 26, 2005 9:58 pm

jjmac wrote:FC2 !!! did they ever fix the 'parted' program that their installer was using to bugger up so many peoples dual XP boots, by scrambling their geometry configurations with the 2.6.x kernel series, last year. Or did they leave that to FC3 (beware.png)(grin.png).

Yeah, it was fixed in FC3, for what it was worth. Never liked Fedora, or Red Hat, for that matter. Personal opinion, of course... :lol:
mugstar
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby Lancer » Tue May 31, 2005 4:58 am

After mucking around with all manner of apt options, the problem was finally resolved by a humble old fashioned...

up2date gtk2

...just as well I'm not restricted to only one update method.

Hmm - how do I go about marking this topic as "solved" ?
Lancer
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby towy71 » Tue May 31, 2005 7:32 am

Lancer wrote:Hmm - how do I go about marking this topic as "solved" ?

could be resolved by a humble old fashioned...

editing of your first post :lol: :lol: :wink:

Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby Lancer » Tue May 31, 2005 7:56 am

towy71 wrote:editing of your first post :lol: :lol: :wink:
Dick

Nope... I can change the title, but it also adds the lame "Last edited by..." note at the bottom. I was asking about the "statues' feature of this forum - where "solved" appears in front of the title in purple letters and "Status: Solved" appears on reading the thread.
Lancer
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: gtk2 broke (thanks synaptic!) FC2

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:24 am

友情连接
铃声铃声下载 手机铃声下载 手机铃声免费铃声下载 免费铃声手机铃声免费下载 三星手机铃声下载和弦铃声 诺基亚铃声下载诺基亚铃声 诺基亚手机铃声和弦铃声三星铃声铃声下载 371m彩信midi铃声midi铃声下载特效铃声下载原唱铃声qq铃声mp3手机铃声诺基亚3100铃声下载联想手机铃声下载原唱铃声下载移动铃声下载铃声下载单音铃声搞笑铃声mid铃声下载手机特效铃声单音铃声下载和弦铃声手机铃声图片下载手机特效铃声下载短信铃声移动手机铃声下载手机和弦铃声cect手机铃声下载彩信铃声诺基亚3120铃声下载和旋铃声下载原声铃声下载铃声图片诺基亚免费铃声下载免费和弦铃声下载免费mp3铃声下载免费和弦铃声三星铃声免费下载免费mp3铃声诺基亚免费铃声手机铃声免费下免费铃声图片下载免费特效铃声下载免费三星手机铃声midi铃声免费下载三星免费铃声免费手机和弦铃声诺基亚3100免费铃声和弦铃声下载mp3铃声下载mp3手机铃声手机mp3铃声下载三星手机铃声诺基亚铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载诺基亚手机铃声手机特效铃声手机特效铃声下载移动手机铃声下载移动铃声原唱铃声下载手机原唱铃声下载nokia铃声nokia手机铃声下载nokia手机铃声搞笑铃声下载搞笑手机铃声搞笑手机铃声下载免费搞笑铃声下载nec手机铃声nec免费手机铃声单音铃声下载手机单音铃声下载手机单音铃声波导手机铃声下载波导铃声下载波导手机铃声nokia铃声下载tcl手机铃声下载tcl铃声下载tcl手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声下载摩托罗拉手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声联想手机铃声下载联想手机铃声联想铃声下载lg手机铃声下载lg手机铃声免费下载lg手机铃声海尔手机铃声下载海尔手机铃声海尔铃声下载夏新手机铃声下载夏新手机铃声夏新铃声下载托普手机铃声下载托普手机铃声托普铃声下载迪比特手机铃声下载迪比特铃声下载迪比特手机铃声康佳手机铃声下载康佳手机铃声康佳铃声下载nec手机铃声下载nec铃声下载松下手机铃声下载松下手机铃声松下手机铃声下载[/url[url=http://yidong256.nease.net/256/yd120.htm] 铃声飞利浦手机铃声下载飞利浦手机铃声飞利浦铃声下载铃声铃声铃声铃声铃声铃声铃声铃声铃声下载下载铃声手机铃声下载手机铃声免费铃声下载手机铃声免费下载免费铃声三星手机铃声下载联通铃声下载mp3铃声mp3铃声mp3铃声下载诺基亚铃声下载免费手机铃声和弦铃声三星铃声下载三星手机铃声特效铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载和弦铃声下载诺基亚铃声联通铃声三星铃声联通手机铃声midi铃声cdma铃声下载波导手机铃声下载mp3手机铃声midi铃声下载诺基亚手机铃声特效铃声下载tcl手机铃声下载联想手机铃声下原唱铃声摩托罗拉铃声下载mp3手机铃声下载移动铃声下载mid铃声下载dma手机铃声下载mid铃声nokia铃声下载搞笑铃声qq铃声原唱铃声下载诺基亚3100铃声下载和旋铃声nec手机铃声下载单音铃声海尔手机铃声下载单音铃声下载tcl铃声下载

Return to Help!