Sad day at work :(

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby candy » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:49 pm

Hi Filth

I am so sorry to hear about that and the crass video message announcing it. I can believe breaking bad news to people is hard but this isn't the right way to go about things.

All I can suggest is you make an inventory of what you've done, what skills you have and what you can offer and look for another job.

If you are not sure about your notice period and any final pay you are due, may I suggest seeing somebody at Citizen's Advice for some free confidential advice.
I work for one 'down south' and I'm sure our colleagues in Scotland would help with with these things.

Take care,
Candy

A girl in a million
candy

Postby filth » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:36 pm

cheers Candy that is much appreciated. Hopefully over the next couple of weeks we will be more aware of the timetable on how things are going to happen. I think that will help a bit.

My course of action is a bit dictated by how much redundancy we are to get as well. If it is good I have more bargaining power (debts etc). Just hope it is not just the £1885 that is the minimum by law I am entitled too.
filth

Postby jezebelus » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:10 pm

Every man who isn't able to do his job properly should be fired. The main problem is when they have to fire someone who works good because of company's incapability, which was problem in my ex company :-(
jezebelus

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:55 pm

jezebelus wrote:Every man who isn't able to do his job properly should be fired.

Is that why managers are so rarely fired? Often their job doesn't actually involve doing anything, in fact if they keep out of the way things generally run more smoothly, hence they can't be fired if they don't do much. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:54 pm

In every organisation there is one man who knows exactly what is going on, where to find the important information, and who is doing what.
Your mission, as a manager, is to find this man and fire him.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:15 am

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:In every organisation there is one man who knows exactly what is going on, where to find the important information, and who is doing what.
Your mission, as a manager, is to find this man and fire him.

Read 'The Dilbert Principal', it explains all this :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby kilikopele » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:25 pm

We call that person the "Bus Person". He or she is the person who knows enough stuff that everyone would be screwed if they were ever run over by a bus.

Proudly, I have been voted "Bus Person" twice. :)
kilikopele
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:18 pm

On the other hand:

If you ever feel indispensable, fill a bucket with water, and plunge your hand into it.
Then remove it.
The space left is how much you will be missed.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Nobody is indispensable. On the other hand, there are always some people in any organisation the loss of whom will leave that organisation in one heck of a mess in the short-term. Which is why companies spend a fortune on key-man insurance (often on the wrong people ;)).
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby donoreo » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:28 pm

Holy thread resurrection, Batman but they are doing it again! I was just informed that one of the divisions in our office is laying off 3 people today. One is switching divisions so only two will lose their jobs. Still, sad when this happens.
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:07 pm

Rhakios wrote:
jezebelus wrote:Every man who isn't able to do his job properly should be fired.

Is that why managers are so rarely fired? Often their job doesn't actually involve doing anything, in fact if they keep out of the way things generally run more smoothly, hence they can't be fired if they don't do much. ;)

my friend at work used to work for bnfl and before they all got laid off there were 25 fitters and leccys and 31 bosses :? for some reason they just weren't competetive as a maintenance service :?:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:19 pm

1.2 managers per worker. Yeah that makes sense. Not.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:29 pm

apparently the management couldn't see that they were so expensive because of all the mangaers they were supporting untill the very end when it was too late and they all got laid off :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby filth » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:16 am

I was finally made redundant last week. Only took them 6 months to carry out what they said they were going to do.

Last time however I ever join a union. The conveener we have was never actually voted in as a shop steward. He decided on a holiday and guess what happens smack bang in the middle of it, we get told we are getting sent home and the redundancies are happening. They had an acting conveener while he was on holiday, someone went in after we were told to ask a few questions only to find the acting conveener sleeping in his office.

We were told to come in on certain dates to be told our job is in jeopardy (on compulsory redundancies they have to do this and give you 7 days to appeal apparently). I forgot to ask a couple of question related to money at the meeting so I phoned the union office at the work a week later when I was going to sign for my money I still did not have a response from the union.
filth

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:07 am

Hmm, that's a hell of a homecoming.... I'm pretty sure I speak for all (well, most of us anyway) that we feel for you and wish you the best in getting a new job quickly.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic