Apple to switch to Intel chips!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Do you think Steve Jobs made a good decision to switch to Intel chips?

Poll ended at Fri Aug 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Yes, this would open new avenues for Linux distribution.
50%
No. Apple should stick with what works.
50%

Total votes : 8

Postby jjmac » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:58 am

Could be wrong but i think the BSD licience has a clause somewhere that allows the code to be "re-licenced" ... which if true sounds like a classic loophole to me. That is, it would explain the absence of the BSD licence in derived code headers, hiding the origin in the process. I probably should have researched that better before just posting it, as i'm not totally sure how correct i am there.

Also ... hasn't OS-X development been on Intell chips for some time ?

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby skecs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:08 am

I have posted in a number of places regarding the media releases, there is one important bit ( :roll: sorry) missing and that is whether this is x86 32-bit or x86 64-bit. The G5s were advertised as the first real 64-bit desktop OS for people - and the advantage of the Apple PowerMac has always been the performance advantage the RISC processor has over x86 at CPU intensive tasks like Photoshop/Lightwave/Final Cut Pro/etc renders. If this advantage is lost then Apple becomes a two-bit hardware producer like Sun Microsystems without the "big iron". Just because they design "pretty packaging" doesn't mean it will be the reason it is chosen by consumers.

I like Apple for multimedia production (and I support G5 PowerMacs that are replacing G4 PowerMacs at the college where I work) and believe that they truly are a better system for this. I'm halfway through Apple Certified Technical Co-ordinator training, the first courses in Australia, but if this is a 32-bit x86 CPU then Apple has just gone backwards 10 years in CPU architecture and performance.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Previous

Return to Discussion