Possible hard drive death?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Possible hard drive death?

Postby Diagmato » Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:56 pm

I have a secondary hard drive in my main pc, which has been acting very sluggish. Sometimes when booting up, the pc would either report there is an error with the master secondary IDE device (the second hard drive), other times it wont find it at all, sometimes it wont find it, or any IDE devices, and others it will find them all.

I ran Maxtors boot up tool, and it gave me a diagnostic code, reporting that the hard drive is failing. So, ive filling in an advanced RMA request.

Here comes the real problem. The drive seems to work in the other pc - at least, it was detected fine, and the diagnostic tool is taking a much longer time trying to find an error (this could take all day).

What else could be causing it to fail? The IDE cables? Would the power lines be it? Im guessing the power lines because its at the end of a small chain, with a fan before it on the cable.

I dont want to rip out masses of cabling and devices, sit there for hours trying to work things out just to find there was possibly an easy solution to this. Does anyone have any suggestions?
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

RE: Possible hard drive death?

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:07 am

How about differences in the mobo - especially timing differences for the commands and readouts prtaining to the IDE interface? It seems to me that that could be the cause of the differences between the PCs and the way they see that drive.

Did you test the drive 'on its own' to eliminate any side effects from more than one drive connected?
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

RE: Possible hard drive death?

Postby Diagmato » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:21 pm

I didnt test it on its own, although, when trying to install the hard drive into the first system, the 4-pin power cable's pins were loose. I used another cable, and it seems to have made that drive happier.

Now im just hoping maxtor will allow me to cancel the RMA, which it doesnt seem likely so far.
My Blog

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
Diagmato
LXF regular

Return to Hardware