LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous?

Postby Hudzilla » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:04 pm

Now that LXF67 should have managed to reach all corners of the globe (after all, LXF68 just came on sale here in Blighty!) I feel it's safe to ask you all what you think - what you liked, and what you disliked.

I'll get you started, although I'll be restricting the "I didn't like" section to things I wrote so as not to aggravate the people I sit next to ;)

I liked:
- The cover. This picture is so cool that The Times used it the next day for their supplement. Nice bright colours, and a punchy headline. Of course, lots of people have no clue what Xen is, but the idea is that the vagueness will make them want to read ;)

- The Ready2Surf review. Okay, I wrote it so I'm bound to think it funny, but I like it anyway :)

- Roundup. Marco obsesses over email clients, and was just the man to flog these contenders until we had a sure winner.

- The LXF Interview. Graham is a real KDE head, and got some great answers from Matthias Ettrich about the future of KDE and Qt. Plus the pictures were nice; Oslo looks like a really nice place to work ;)

- Console vs GUI brought a smile to my face, and not only because of the aggressive posturing from Nick and Rebecca.

- Emacs tutorial. Biagio has a real passion for this topic, second only to his love of compilers - I think that sways a lot of people!

I didn't like:
- I have lingering doubts over whether the Xen feature really managed to explain it to newcomers. It's a hard topic, but we all felt it was worth trying our best rather than just ignoring it.

- I'm equally unsure about the "new style" PHP tutorial. From LXF63 onwards I've been trying to lighten up the PHP tutorial to make it a) more accessible, b) funny in places, and c) varied. The problem with making a magazine is that it's very hard to know whether you're succeeding, so I'm just flat out unsure whether the format is working.

Anyway, over to you... what do all y'all think?

Paul
Hudzilla
Site admin

RE: LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous?

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:49 pm

While I agree that the Xen article was heavy going, that didn't prevent me from understanding it; it's always nice to be stretched a bit. The only thing I didn't like about the Xen article was that it didn't provide any starters guide, this is the kind of thing I find most useful. Having said which, now that I understand how it works, it's not something I'm likely to use.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: LXF 67: Turkey or Tremendous?

Postby ryptyde » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 am

Enjoyed Tong,Xen and of course Andy's "dual-layer" DVD burner.The little knob thingy must be how you set the "burn rate". :)

The Gimp tute also,wish there were more hours in the day to play.
ryptyde

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs