Fedora Core 3 and DVD drives ...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Fedora Core 3 and DVD drives ...

Postby Ragman » Tue May 24, 2005 9:26 pm

Hey all,

So, I have FC3 installed and I've been battling with my DVD drive for a while. First off, I couldn't access it under any circumstances so I Googled and found a post which said "add yourself to every group you can find" so I did, rebooted the machine and everything's rosy.

Well, I *say* rosy but .. every time I stick a DVD in the drive (either DVD-R or a "proper" disk u pops the DVD/CD creation software and nautilus shows . If I browse the folder nautilus pops up burn:/// and an empty window ...

Contents of my fstab are:

/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 / ext3 defaults 1 1
LABEL=/boot /boot ext3 defaults 1 2
none /dev/pts devpts gid=5,mode=620 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdc /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,ro,exec,noaut
o,managed 0 0

Which strikes me as odd as it shows the device as /media/cdrom for a start ...

Can anyone shed any light on what the problem is ?

// relative newbie
/// ready to kick screen in ...

Cheers

Rags
Ragman

RE: Fedora Core 3 and DVD drives ...

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:57 am

Ok, bad problem with fedora core three. First off, DO NOT add yourself to every group, bad security deal. thats why you su up. Anyways what you can do is make a symbolic link from /dev/hdd to /dev/cdrom0 or dvd, whatever you wanna call it. heres the code for you....

In fstab change it all together, remove what it setup with the /media shit, delete it. then type....

/dev/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom0 auto,defaults,user 0 0

at the command line, enter....

ln -s /dev/hdd /dev/cdrom0

then just mount it....

mount /mnt/cdrom0

if you have any other cdroms or dvdroms, set them up the same way, only adjust locations... i.e. /dev/hdc /dev/cdrom1 /mnt/cdrom1 ... you get it. You would wanna add yourself to the mount group only. So remove those from your user, very insecure to roll that way. Any questions email me, njregenwether@isp.com, Later - Nolan

Return to Help!