PCLinuxOS .93a Mini-Me released!

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PCLinuxOS .93a Mini-Me released!

Postby davecs » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:03 pm

A new version of PCLinuxOS has been released. It is a "mini-me" version .93a the download is 300Mb. It concentrates on Hardware Selection and getting up a basic desktop, from which you can run Synaptic and add software to your hearts content (assuming a fast internet connection).

Major changes include:

1 - a "Grub" bootup rather than "isolinux". This means that, in order to start with a British keyboard, you need to edit the Grub line. Just press "e" twice, use the left and right cursor keys to move through the line, and change "keyb=us" to "keyb=uk". You can also change the default screen resolution from 1024x768 to 1280x1024 or even 1600x1200 by adding "xres=1280x1024" in the line.

2. - more choices re disk partition

3. - a whole new installer. Less flaky and faster than the old one.

4. - Kernel 2.6.16.27 and KDE 3.5.3 . Once installed you can replace the standard i586 kernel for an i686, smp, or a64, with an option for <=1Gb or >1Gb RAM.

The only "negative" I've found, is that it cannot download packages to install a printer until you have been into Synaptic and updated the Package List ("Reload"), but it still tries! Until you are ready it may be a good idea to unplug the printer! Other than that, Hardware detection is up to the normal standards.

The release has been reviewed at Tuxmachines. There are also loads of screen shots.

Click on my sig below to get the PCLOS site and then select downloads if you want to try it.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Announcements