Got the magazine, but only have a CDROM on this PC

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Got the magazine, but only have a CDROM on this PC

Postby tadpole » Fri May 27, 2005 6:05 pm

OK - I'll be honest up front. I've never looked at linux before but I want to give it a go, so I went out and bought linux format with Mandriva on the DVD on the cover.

Snag: My laptop only has a CDROM drive on it. I've got a linux bootable floppy, but can anyone help as to which files I should copy to a CDROM so I can then install from there?

Newbies eh?
tadpole

RE: Got the magazine, but only have a CDROM on this PC

Postby Nigel » Fri May 27, 2005 6:18 pm

If you take a look at the back of the mag, in the section that describes what's on the DVD/CDs, you should find a section lurking there entitled "Creating Installation CDs from the DVD".
My copy of LXF67 is in work, so I can't give you an exact page reference, but it's there in every issue...
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 6:32 pm

Ta Nigel - I'd looked at that bit (p119 of the latest issue) where it tells you how to create install CDs with cdrecord. However, I assume this is for someone who already has linux on their HD. Mine is completely wiped at present and awaiting my first journey into linux.

Under that it suggests "You don't have to use linux to burn the ISO to a disc. All linux-specific bits are already built into the image file. Programs like cdrecord simply dump it onto the disk. If you don't have a CD-writer, find someone who has one, and a DVD drive, and use the CD burning software on their computer. It can be Windows, MacOS, AmigaOS, whatever"

Now this doesn't really help me, as I still don't know what files to put on it. I have W2K or MacOS at my disposal, but I'm still in the dark.

Postby Nigel » Fri May 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Ah, no - you're looking at the wrong bit. In the latest mag (LXF68) go back a little bit - the section you want is at the top of page 117. IIRC it's in a similar place in LXF67. Look for a subheading of "ISO images in Windows"
Usually it goes on about using "winmkiso" (which is on the DVD). This is to make "ISO" images of the CDs, which you can then burn to real CDs using something like Nero. The ISO image is just a big file on your hard drive that is a byte-for-byte copy of the CD you want to create.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby MachuMan » Fri May 27, 2005 9:22 pm

Anothe quick tip If you cant boot from cd is to make a smart boot manager floppy (this allows you to select a boot device) using rawwite and the smart boot manager floppy disk image on the dvd.
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 8:56 am

Aha - cheers Nigel - found that (indeed is P117 on this issue) - I've have a crack following those instructions and hopefully get back on here later via linux :)

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 9:21 am

Hmm, me again. Back sooner than I thought. OK - using windows and Nero I'm still a bit lost. Following the magazine instructions for Nero (select File > Burn Image) is flawed immediately as Nero 6 doesn't have that option - however, I assume using Recorder > Burn Image is the same thing.

Here's the crux: I'm told to select the ISO image file in the dialog. Problem is - what is the ISO image??

I've also been to www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html as suggested, but they suggest the same. So, now my question is 'what ISO image should I be selecting?'

Sorry to hassle - I appreciate the help

Postby towy71 » Sat May 28, 2005 9:51 am

in a text box on page 114 is a headline CREATING ISO IMAGES IN WINDOWS which reads
Windows users can create the CDs by double clicking on the winmkiso icon or running the script from an MS-DOS prompt. In the latter case you should change into the Mandriva directory of the CD before running the script.

When they say script they mean winmkiso.bat file :roll:
the iso files will appear on C:\ as LXFMDK10.2-1.iso etc.
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Nigel » Sat May 28, 2005 10:33 am

Depending on how many CDs are required, winmkiso can take quite a while - last time I used it was for Fedora Core 3, which (IIRC) took a couple of hours.
Once that is done you use Nero to burn the CDs. Yes, the "Burn Image" option got moved to the Recorder menu in Nero6. I seem to remember older versions of Nero also associating with the .ISO extension, so if you double-clicked on an ISO file in Explorer it would open Nero at the Burn Image dialog, but Nero 6 doesn't seem to do that (yet another reason to switch to k3b under Linux !).
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Sat May 28, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks Towy and Nigel - I'm currently waiting for winmkiso to sort through its job (so far I have the first .iso file waiting on my C drive).

Next, I assume I just burn that .iso file to a CDROM?

Postby towy71 » Sat May 28, 2005 5:23 pm

as I understand it, there are four cds made so burn and have some fun ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Guest » Sun May 29, 2005 6:00 pm

Well, now he have linux on the laptop. Still typing this on the mac as I'm a bit bewildered trying to set up my wireless network, but let's face it - that's the fun involved with jumping into something new.

Thanks for your help, Nigel and towy. Everything went ok as far as the first three isos, but the last one came up as a .tmp file. I experimented by burning this fourth one as a disk image and wouldn't have it - i was told that the installation procedure couldn't find:

lil-22.6.1-mok.i586, and
vim.minimal-6.3-12mok.i586

But given the option of battling on regardless I still have this new OS to start playing with. I don't know if those files were important (in fact I have squit all idea about a lot of this) but wonder whether there is a linux equivalent of (whispers) Windows update, where I could hook up (once I've sussed getting my linux online) and let it sort itself out.

Otherwise, we have made progress today :)

Postby Nigel » Sun May 29, 2005 9:21 pm

I'm not actually familiar with Mandriva - I use SuSE and Fedora at the moment.
However, it's been my experience that with multi-CD distros, the files on the last CD are often either source or the less-commonly used applications and documentation. You may never need the last CD.
From the messages, I suspect you may be missing lilo (one of the boot managers - if you installed Grub you won't need it) and vi (a text-mode editor - again, there are alternatives so you may not ever need it). But I believe there are ways to install this from online sources.
Did you run out of disk space whilst doing the winmkiso ? I think there's a way to make only a certain CD if you really want to, so you could clear out the ISOs for the CDs you have burned and then remake just the 4th one. I'll take a look when I get into work on Tuesday.

Pretty much all Linux distros have online update capability - you may have seen other threads concerning Mandriva's. As I say, I don't have any experience of this distro, so hopefully someone who does will now step in and advise you on setting that (and your modem) up.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Got the magazine, but only have a CDROM on this PC

Postby nelz » Sun May 29, 2005 10:29 pm

Nigel wrote:Did you run out of disk space whilst doing the winmkiso ? I think there's a way to make only a certain CD if you really want to, so you could clear out the ISOs for the CDs you have burned and then remake just the 4th one. I'll take a look when I get into work on Tuesday.

The option to only create a single ISO is only available with the Linux mkiso script. If space is the issue, just delete the first ISO file as soon as winmkiso starts creating the second.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!