Vimpart - where has it gone.

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Vimpart - where has it gone.

Postby GMorgan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:47 am

I've decided to learn one text editor well as opposed to using 3/4 in various places. I remembered that Kdevelop helpfully allowed Vim to be embedded into the IDE instead of KATE. I set off to set this up and learn Vim properly. Anyway upon installing endless amounts of KDE I couldn't get Vimpart installed (there was no Vimpart package so I assumed that it was hidden among a morass of KDE general bloat). So I set off and used Google but seemingly Vimpart has disappeared off the face of the internet faster than the original plans for the WTC.

Anyone know whats happened with this. I'm using Dapper by the way.
GMorgan
LXF regular

RE: Vimpart - where has it gone.

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:54 am

Checking the Gentoo portage tree, it appears the latest version of vimpart is for KDE 3.4. Kvim has also disappeared.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby GMorgan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:57 am

The Kvim homepage gives me a 404 and while I have managed to get Vimpart debs they require deprecated libraries. They have moved the entire operation off planet seemingly. Surely KDE wouldn't release 3.5 without Vim. I'm only just starting to use it but it has enough users to warrent some kind of release surely.

//edit - thanks for the quick reply by the way. I'm more annoyed by the fact I pulled in just about every KDE package in synaptic thinking it was another one of those KDE tricks of having a single package called KDE with 10^6 apps in there of which one you want. Granted that problem seems to have disappeared, doesn't even have the one I want :evil: .//
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:21 pm

As I understand it now Vimpart has officially dropped out of existence. Does anyone know of a C/C++ IDE where I can use Vim as the text editor, needs to be comperable to Kdevelop in power if posible. This is turning into a lot of effort to learn a text editor. I've gone from a smallish change to an entirely new development environment.

Please don't say Vim itself, I need project management cause I'm a lazy so and so :) .
GMorgan
LXF regular

Return to Programming