hdd question?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

hdd question?

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed May 18, 2005 7:00 pm

i want to add another hdd to run linux but as my hdd is mounted vertically i was wondering if anyone knows if there is some kind of carrier type thing so that i can mount them together rather than just taping it to the bottom of the box
if you use pcplus forum i'm sorry for the repeat question :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: hdd question?

Postby davecs » Thu May 19, 2005 3:36 pm

It there is room at the bottom of the box, and the leads reach, why not? I once installed a 3 1/2" drive in a 5 1/4" bay because when I bought a convertor it was the wrong type. I screwed in one side and put a great wadge of Blu-Tak the other.

Which brings me to my other point. If you can use it without it touching any vulnerable parts of the HD, use Blu-Tak to act as a physical buffer so that any knocks aren't transmitted to the HD from the case.

Another thing is that some HDDs have screwholes on the bottom so that you can mount them on the bottom of the case, it's a question of whether there are any holes on the case, and if you have to drill some, you'll probably have to remove everything and put it back later.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Thu May 19, 2005 5:47 pm

thanks for the reply it looks as though bluetac is the way to go :D
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri May 20, 2005 1:30 pm

update i have done it 8) it's in and works i used a caddie and modded my case 8) i haven't formatted it yet for linux as i'm not overly sure how to do it :?
paul

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Fri May 20, 2005 5:56 pm

You don't need to format it, just run the installer for whichever distro you want and it will (usually) take care of partitioning the drive.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hardware