Which verison of gcc-3

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Which verison of gcc-3

Postby alloydog » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:23 pm

I have just downloaded "Teach yourself C++ in 21 days"

On my laptop is gcc-3.3-base, and I have just installed the C++ complier gcc, with the required dependencies..

In the repository are other other versions of gcc-3, such as 3.2 and 3.4.

In my quest to become a fully fledged C++ guru in 21 days :roll: do I need these other versions?

What are they for?
alloydog
LXF regular

RE: Which verison of gcc-3

Postby GMorgan » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:05 pm

Basically they have upgraded the compiler. GCC 3.4 seems to be a lot of peoples favourites though 4.1 (if its available, not all distros have it) is probably the best.

I'd probably go for the 3.4 version in your position though 3.3 will be good enough to learn the language. Good luck with learning C++, the best thing I try to remember with programming is that its better to get a few working projects than have a load of almost working ones.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:35 am

Thanks! 3.4 is available (Warty repository), thopugh I was wondering what would break if I installed it...

As for working projects, one more than just "Hello World" would be nice at the moment!
Last edited by alloydog on Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:42 am

I'd go for what ever the default version is for your distro. To retain compatability. Then, if you wished, install later versions when they become available.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:16 am

3.3 was installed as part of the base installation which is based on the Warty repository, but 3.4 is there also.

I'll leave things for know, till I get a bit more adventurous!
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:07 am

Howdy alloydog

As for your original point "do you need these other versions ?" ... probably not, some src packages for your distro may or may not be set up to be compiled with one or the other. 3.4 has an option change from 3.3, "-mtune=" rather than "-mcpu=". There is an ABI change with the 4.x series as well, which tends to make me a bit shy of using it :). Though i think the design goal is excellent. I will probably be waiting till 4.2 before i move their, unless the build scripts i do battle with end up winning :roll: , that is.

But as long as it wasn't being used in contradiction to the overall system, with regards to key compiles (X, libc6) i don't think it would cause any real breaking problems. It may even be interesting to see how the different apps got on.

"gcc.gnu.org" is always a good site to look around on, if not somewhat obscure/dry, as they tend to be, along with the other gcc sites.

>>
In my quest to become a fully fledged C++ guru in 21 days do I need these other versions?
>>

(grin)

Experimenting with the various "man" page examples can be interesting. Just putting together test runs to see just how the facility works. Data dumps, so to speak, can be quite revealing. And one just can't overlook SCI's site, including a general google for "templates", to look with any fairness at c++. But then, a person dosen't _have_ to use all the fancy facilities either. c++ is fine as just a better 'c'

good luck ...

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Programming