Would you use this scheme?

Yes
No votes
No
100%

Total votes : 8

Anyone else read this?

Postby shifty_ben » Tue May 23, 2006 12:37 pm

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+pitches+pay-as-you-go+PCs/2100-1003_3-6074589.html

When I first saw this I had horrible visions of a pay and go system similar to a mobile phone, i.e. you buy a PC and then pay MS and hourly/minutely charge to use it. Having read it a bit further I can't decide if its a good idea, the basic theory is sound but this is MS and I don't trust them as far as I can throw them (is it possible to throw an 800lb gorilla?). What happens for instance if you want to wipe XP and put Linux on instead? Or if the computer gets stolen?
I can just see a clause in the terms and conditions stating that Microsoft may change the terms and conditions of this contract at any time without notice.
The fee MS charge may well be extortionate as well I fear, at least in terms of the overall cost versus buying the PC outright.
It appears to be aimed at less developed nations, so assuming the person buying it doesn't have the internet how will the computer know they have been keeping up payments? A coin slot in the case maybe? ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

RE: Anyone else read this?

Postby alloydog » Tue May 23, 2006 2:04 pm

lol!!!
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Tue May 23, 2006 2:12 pm

Sounds a bit of a rip off to me. Pay as you go always means paying more than you would to pay upfront. Anyway will any of them have the phone lines to be able to go through the Activate Windows Malarky.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Tue May 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Sounds like the old "hire purchase" schemes.
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue May 23, 2006 8:11 pm

Sounds more like snake oil to me, why pay for crap when you can have a Rolls Royce (Linux) for free?
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: Anyone else read this?

Postby Steogede » Tue May 23, 2006 9:12 pm

GMorgan wrote:Sounds a bit of a rip off to me. Pay as you go always means paying more than you would to pay upfront. Anyway will any of them have the phone lines to be able to go through the Activate Windows Malarky.

Not only are they trying to rip people off, they are to rip off 'people in emerging markets'.
Steogede
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Wed May 24, 2006 4:51 pm

Instead of doing that they could buy the pc for half the price as said in the article but instead of spending the other half on a windows licence just install Linux :P

Never tried the windows starter presume it has a lot of limitations
Hello
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed May 24, 2006 5:06 pm

Hello wrote:Never tried the windows starter presume it has a lot of limitations

Yeah, it only has half the security holes, crashes but once a week, and has no 'Clippy' Office assistant - so naturally, one cannot enjoy the "Windows Experience" to the fullest - Upgrade today!
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Wed May 24, 2006 5:10 pm

alloydog wrote:

Yeah, it only has half the security holes, crashes but once a week, and has no 'Clippy' Office assistant - so naturally, one cannot enjoy the "Windows Experience" to the fullest - Upgrade today!

and its probably reasonably priced
Hello
LXF regular

Postby alloydog » Wed May 24, 2006 5:27 pm

Hello wrote:
alloydog wrote:

and its probably reasonably priced

which is what makes Linux so useless, when compared to Windows - hardly any holes, damned stable, no freaky 'toys' unless you want them and you can get it for free. I mean where's the fun in that?
alloydog
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu May 25, 2006 12:29 am

I do miss battling with Clippy to make him go away and stay away! I know there is an option to turn him off but he always seemed to 'forget' that I had set it.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am

I think the motive is to create, or rather, encourage a future customer resource base ... as MS sometimes like to put it. Creating the familiarity. Unfortunately the first introduction can often dominates the later choices.

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Thu May 25, 2006 4:12 pm

shifty_ben wrote:I do miss battling with Clippy to make him go away and stay away! I know there is an option to turn him off but he always seemed to 'forget' that I had set it.

He could help that he had memory leaks. It was the way he was built.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Return to Other OS