Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware changes.

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware changes.

Postby spottedcat » Wed May 17, 2006 4:59 pm

I've had it up to here with the intermittent ghastly fan noise from one of my machines. I use the machine as a multiboot to experiment and to learn about Linux. When the fan revs up it sounds like Concorde with a bad attack of colic; I can't hear myself think. (It's got all sorts of audio connections for multimedia use - what on earth were Asus thinking of?) It's one of those non-standard designs, and the PSU is sitting right over the CPU so I can't replace the CPU cooler with a sensibly sized one. I've tried some things, but none have been satisfactory. So I'm thinking of writing off all the time and expense I've wasted on it, stripping out what I can, and rebuilding something where I can fit a whopping great silent CPU cooler. Trouble is the mainboard probably won't go in a standard case, and that means a new motherboard - and you know how Windows will react to that! Probably means a re-install of Windblows, but then when I get to the product activation bit, microsoft's database is going to smell a (non-existent) rat.

The install CD is a perfectly legal copy of the OEM version, all paid for by myself, and I want to be able to get my money's worth, thankyou very much Mr Gates. Has anyone been down this road, and what might I expect? I'd like to know before taking a screwdriver to the machine.

Thing is, I hardly use Windows at all now, but the idea of not having access to something I've paid for and hardly used sticks in my craw. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

RE: Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware change

Postby towy71 » Wed May 17, 2006 7:14 pm

If you have destroyed the environment that windows was on and you wish to reinstall just do it. You have a valid licence so no problems and when you want to update go to http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ and use firefox to update your system it doesn't connect to the contentious update ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed May 17, 2006 7:42 pm

It sounds like you have a midi-ATX case. Standard ATX cases have mounting points for the midi motherboards, so you should be able to replace the case with a sensible one.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby spottedcat » Wed May 17, 2006 7:53 pm

Thanks, Towy, I'll look into that, but I believe there may be a more fundamental problem long before I have to worry about updates - all down to microsoft's obsessive paranoia. When you install XP you are 'invited' to activate the product. If you decline to do this, an annoying reminder pops up every so often, and then XP autodestructs after 30 days. OK, I can activate it online, but I read somewhere that the product activation server keeps a record of your hardware configuration. If you've changed it too much on a re-installation, then the server refuses to activate the new install. Anyway, that's what my uncertain memory tells me I read. I just wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Wed May 17, 2006 8:39 pm

So if you replace your motherboard cos the old one has failed you can't reinstall a valid Operating System with a valid Licence? I don't think that M$ are that stupid, are they?
I have only re-installed XPee for other people on repaired or upgraded computers and I can't remember about the activation stuff but the computers are still working at least a year on.
I have looked into this and found the following
If you overhaul your computer by replacing a substantial number of hardware components, it may appear to be a different PC. You may have to reactivate Windows XP. If this should occur, you can call the telephone number displayed on the activation screen to reactivate the software.
from this Microparp website, so I would assume that you will be okay.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby spottedcat » Wed May 17, 2006 8:52 pm

That's a useful link. Thanks Towy. I'm still looking at the possibilty of lifting the mainboard out and putting it in another case but, as I said, it's not a standard size, has odd bits and bobs scattered around, and my engineering skills are probably not equal to the task.

I also vaguely remember something about significant hardware changes being ignored after 3 months. I could just put the old hd onto a new m'board and not use Windows for three months. (That'll hardly be a hardship. :)) I'm sure the Linux installs will cope with the unexpected changes to the hardware, so long as I get mainstream stuff. They certainly won't nag me about licences.

towy71 wrote:I don't think that M$ are that stupid, are they?

Wanna bet? :D
spottedcat
LXF regular

Re: RE: Reinstalling Windows XP Home after major hardware ch

Postby spottedcat » Thu May 18, 2006 6:51 am

nelz wrote:It sounds like you have a midi-ATX case. Standard ATX cases have mounting points for the midi motherboards, so you should be able to replace the case with a sensible one.

I really don't know how I missed your post, nelz. My apologies for not acknowledging. It's a "we're Asus, we can cock a snook at the rest of the industry with our not-so-small form factor box" sized case. I've measured the board as best I can with it in situ and it doesn't seem to conform to any of the *atx sizes, so I can't be sure the screw holes will line up with what's inside a standard atx case until I get it out. Also, there's an odd excrescence with two interfaces above the top of the board more-or-less where the psu would go in a standard setup. Hmmmm. Oh, and the CPU cooler is held by four screws rather than the standard Intel push-pins.

What I'm going to do is get a standard atx case and see if I can fit this board into it. I'll probably lose a couple of functions I don't use anyway. (Like the onboard FM radio - on a machine that intermittently sounds like a wind tunnel. :roll: I wonder again: what were Asus thinking of?) And if I fail, I'll get a new mb (NOT asus - probably Intel) and prepare to wrestle with m$.

Thank you both for your comments. Much appreciated. :)
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu May 18, 2006 10:47 am

spottedcat

Is your machine by any chance an Asus Barebones? Your mention of an FM radio makes me suspect it may be.

My WinXP/Linux multiboot "test" computer is an Asus Terminator 2 Barebones System Model TR-2 with an Asus P4R8T mobo. Fortunately mine is fairly quiet but I haven't modified it in any way. In actual fact, so far I have had no reason to take the cover off so haven't examined the insides.

One thing I have noticed is that if I use the headphone socket on the front of the computer, there is an odd ticking sound which is quite audible along with the music. I don't get this from the headphone socket round the back. I can only assume some sort of interference is being picked up through the front socket from somewhere.

Have you ever managed to get the FM radio to work? I haven't. An AM antenna was provided with the computer but there is no coax input for an FM aerial, just a round yellow socket for the AM antenna.

Thing is, I hardly use Windows at all now, but the idea of not having access to something I've paid for and hardly used sticks in my craw.

This is why I always keep Windows on my computers, ie I've paid for it and therefore want to be able to use it when necessary. Although I probably make more use of it than you do. :)

Surely you won't have any problems re-activating if you ring up and explain the situation?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu May 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Spottedcat:
Apparently the activation data is only stored for 90 days or so.....In which case, you should be able to activate it again.
We found this out the other day when we used the wrong license key to install windows 2003 SBS on a new machine for a customer....and it activated anyway, despite being a totally different server!( we had to format and reinstall when we realised) .... :(

It would seem the main reason for it is to stop people installing one copy on one pc after another for sale.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu May 18, 2006 12:55 pm

P.S.
OEM licenses are for installation on ONE PC ONLY, EVER.
So if you install it on a new one, you are technically breaking the terms of the license, EVEN IF YOU HAVE SCRAPPED THE OLD ONE.
That is one of the reasons why Windoze xp pro is £200 retail, but £65 OEM.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby GMorgan » Thu May 18, 2006 1:39 pm

It's also a reason why practice with Linux is a very good thing.
GMorgan
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Thu May 18, 2006 3:25 pm

Marrea wrote:Is your machine by any chance an Asus Barebones? Your mention of an FM radio makes me suspect it may be.

My WinXP/Linux multiboot "test" computer is an Asus Terminator 2 Barebones System Model TR-2 with an Asus P4R8T mobo. Fortunately mine is fairly quiet but I haven't modified it in any way. In actual fact, so far I have had no reason to take the cover off so haven't examined the insides.

Yes, Marrea. It is a Terminator, but the T2-PH1 model. Or rather, it was. It's now an Asus Terminated - in lots of pieces all over my spare room floor. :twisted: For some reason different versions vary in fan noise. Actually mine could be fairly quiet, but when the CPU got too hot the fan went up to about 4000 rpm and made a hell of a din - which was quite often. The fan is only 70mm - that's minute when you consider the 3Gz Intel P4 it was trying to cool could almost replace my central heating boiler.

Marrea wrote:Have you ever managed to get the FM radio to work? I haven't.

No I never bothered, and I'm unlikely to find to now. :D

Marrea wrote:Surely you won't have any problems re-activating if you ring up and explain the situation?

:shock: :shock: Um. Don't know what to say. :shock: :wink:

Thanks for explaining the licence situation, wyliecoyoteuk. I didn't know that. That means that if I buy a computer from a small outfit who make up computers and they install an OEM copy, and then a couple of years down the line the m'board gives up the ghost and has to be replaced, then I have to buy another copy of Windoze. It's a rip-off. Nothing new there then. :( And thanks for explaining the 90-day thing as well. I thought I'd heard something like that.

Thanks for your interest, everyone. The Asus mainboard is now out, it's tiny and - yes- the screw holes don't line up with the mountings in a standard ATX case. Time to sleep on it I think.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu May 18, 2006 4:26 pm

spottedcat wrote:
Marrea wrote:Surely you won't have any problems re-activating if you ring up and explain the situation?

:shock: :shock: Um. Don't know what to say. :shock: :wink:

Yes, I suppose that was rather wishful thinking on my part. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu May 18, 2006 5:00 pm

spottedcat wrote:
Thanks for explaining the licence situation, wyliecoyoteuk. I didn't know that. That means that if I buy a computer from a small outfit who make up computers and they install an OEM copy, and then a couple of years down the line the m'board gives up the ghost and has to be replaced, then I have to buy another copy of Windoze. It's a rip-off. Nothing new there then. :(

I know, but then MS want you to rent it by the day (or second, eventually). Biggest issue: did you stick the COA sticker on the case?
If not, then it has never actually been fully installed in that machine has it? :wink:

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Thu May 18, 2006 7:30 pm

From my memory if it goes bang you are allowed to put it on the new pc provided it has gone bang and I think this is the same for oem suppliers CD`s such as your ASUS install.
Hello
LXF regular

Next

Return to Other OS