IPCop and BT Connection

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

IPCop and BT Connection

Postby MamaLizard » Mon May 15, 2006 3:07 pm

I am currently protecting my network (mixed Linux & Windows) using a dedicated box running IPCop firewall. This connects to BT ADSL via a Speedtouch USB modem, which is getting a bit old and creaky. Would like to have the 'up to 8mb' speed which apparently current modem does not support. Is there a simple ethernet modem (ie without firewall or anything too fancy) compatible with both BT and IPCop and not too complex to configure.
MamaLizard

RE: IPCop and BT Connection

Postby nelz » Mon May 15, 2006 3:15 pm

Ethernet modems with not router are few and far between. D-Link do one but I found it unreliable. I went back to my Origo modem/router, bought from Ebuyer, with the router switched off so it acts as a plain modem feeding my router.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: IPCop and BT Connection

Postby towy71 » Mon May 15, 2006 3:45 pm

Ebuyer have this safecom adsl modem router, it does have a firewall but that can be turned off. You could also look for the Binatone 2000 which does not have a built in firewall.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby MamaLizard » Mon May 15, 2006 6:28 pm

Thanks for the help. Will have a look at the modems/routers you suggest.
MamaLizard

Re: RE: IPCop and BT Connection

Postby Fargus » Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:42 am

nelz wrote:Ethernet modems with not router are few and far between. D-Link do one but I found it unreliable. I went back to my Origo modem/router, bought from Ebuyer, with the router switched off so it acts as a plain modem feeding my router.

I've been using the DLink one for about 3 years without a single issue! Works like a charm and has a browser configuration interface and even DHCP should you want it, but that can be turned off too.
Fargus

RE: Re: RE: IPCop and BT Connection

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:03 pm

It that the DSL-300T? Mine kept hanging, and I read other reports of the same on the web.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Hardware