Wireless Keyboard & Mouse for Gaming

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless Keyboard & Mouse for Gaming

Postby noelob » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:54 am

Hi all,

Having recently purchased a projector, I want to start using it to play games. Since my PC is in the corner of the room, it would be ideal for me to use a wireless keyboard and mouse from my sofa. Problem is, it's a good 10-15 ft away.

Ive used a logitech wireless elite duo k/b+mouse in work, which i think has a nice feel. I've looked it up on the 'net but a lot of place only say it has a six ft range, and the last thing I want when playing Rogue Spear is for the peripherals to work intermittently.

So my questions are:

1. Does any one know of a wireless keyboard/mouse set with a good range (20ft should cover it nicely.) I have also used the gyration wireless mouse/keyboard in work. It has a nice long range, but the keyboard is too small for gaming and I dont like the shape and feel of the mouse.

2. Bluetooth Keyboard/mouse sets have good range, but is there a possibility of dropped connections? Also, can bluetooth keyboards/mice work with linux? More importantly, since i dual boot with Win XP, can Grub/Lilo recognise a bluetooth keyboard? I somehow doubt it as not that long ago, some live distros wouldnt even recognise my USB keyboard.

Thoughts?

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby noelob » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:55 am

I have found a wireless mouse/keyboard combo with 100' range, a bit overkill and the price is a little too high also. That said it uses 2-way IR so keystrokes are never lost (think ACK in data communications). Better still, this company actually supports Linux. Im still open to suggestions for a mouse/keyboard that matches my price range. This is still a great product, though.

http://www.wireless-computing.com/produ ... ndex.shtml

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:10 pm

[quote] price is a little high [quote]

A little?? Its damn high! In terms of wireless range, Ive heard most average on 8 feet though I may be wrong. Are you after one that connects via USB? if so why not get one of those USB M2F cables so that can extend your range a bit, I know its a little messy but it will probably save a lot of money. [/b]
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:53 pm

shifty_ben wrote:A little?? Its damn high!

If you've just bought a monitor you can read from 100 feet away, an extra $400 is nothing :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby noelob » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:57 pm

Paid only €650 for the projector, so really don't want to be spending almost as much on the keyboard n mouse. Shifty Ben, the m2f (male 2 female i'm assuming) cable you're talking about, i thought the longest a USB cable could be was 2 meters (a limitation of usb). It this true?

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:45 pm

I saw something (in maplin IIRC) that will allow you to stretch it longer than that, seem to remember that it said you could use up to 4 and get another 10 meters or something. Rather a pricy way though, I was thinking more that if you can get the dongle that plugs into your computer a little closer to the sofa (or whatever) then a keyboard with a shorter advertised range shouldn't be an issue. Of course this does mean there may be wires strewn across your floor (something I am used to but constantly harrassed about)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby noelob » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:01 am

Had a look on Maplin site and didnt see anything useful, but found something similar to what you were describing here: http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=304902 all I have to do now is get a wireless keyboard/Mouse!! (Currently Im using a standard ps2 k/b and a wireless optical mouse purchased from Lidl which is excellent, but its range is just short of my sofa)

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:10 pm

Yep that looks like the beastie. 19 euros isn't bad thats about what 15 quid? though I suppose the expense soon builds up.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby noelob » Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi,

just have some information regarding Bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse combo from Logitech (Logitech® Cordless Desktop® MX™ 5000 Laser). After ringing customer support for this product. they assured me that before the operating system is booted the keyboard/mouse work in 'embedded mode' and should be able to use it in the BIOS screen and bootloader in this mode. Once the OS is booted the extra functionality of the keyboard can be used.

So.. i'm thinking of purchasing it. Can anyone confirm or deny that there may be problems using it within Linux (once booted)? Has anyone else got this product?

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby shifty_ben » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:34 pm

It should be fine, it is in essence just a keyboard that uses radio rather than wires. You may find that some of the 'extra' buttons (i.e. multimedia buttons) need configuring before you can use them
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby noelob » Mon May 08, 2006 7:34 am

Hi all,

Finally got the Logitech® Cordless Desktop® MX™ 5000 Laser. Once you have usb legacy support enabled in your BIOS it works fine in the BIOS and bootloader. None of the extra keys work in Linux, but at least it the normal keys work ok. When I look at it in the control panel (Mandriva 2006) it displays the keyboard as an unknown device, but the mouse seems to be fine.

I would like to try get some of the extra keys working (in particular, the touchpad keys for media control). xev does not appear to be installed on my system, and i thought it was inthe xinput package but after I installed it from the disk, there was still no sign of it. Does anyone know what package xev is in? Or how can try to get my extra keys working? Is there a module i need to load to get the extra keys working?

Kind regards,
Noel
noelob

Postby nelz » Mon May 08, 2006 8:12 am

You don't say which distro you are using, but most of them seem to have a separate xev package.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Mon May 08, 2006 9:07 am

When I look at it in the control panel (Mandriva 2006)

Just a guess,but Mandriva ;)
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 08, 2006 10:01 am

Smart-arse ;-)

OK, I only checked noelob's first couple of posts for the distro and in was buried in his seventh :(

Mandriva makes it too easy, search for xev in files in the software section of the Control Centre and you'll find the package in seconds. X11R6-contrib.
nelz
Site admin

Postby shifty_ben » Mon May 08, 2006 10:32 am

Smart-arse ;)

makes a change from me being corrected :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Next

Return to Hardware