Suggestions Wanted

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Suggestions Wanted

Postby shifty_ben » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:04 am

Hi all,

To sum it up I have gotten rather lazy recently. I host a number of websites (or reasonable low importance) on my ADSL connection for (mainly) people I know. But configuring and maintaining the server has been taking up more and more of my time, I got fed up with continually typin the same commands, so i have created a CLI based interface for it. A BASH script nothing more complicated than that, but already its starting to have more and more features. It can be found at http://benscomputer.no-ip.org/manipulate/ apologies if the page doesnt load, my router is somewhat temperamental at the moment. What I am really after is ideas of what to add to it next. The security of the programs login system needs improving greatly, and I also plan to add a module to control samba to it, but does anyone have any other ideas? it is as much a project for me as it is a useful utility, so I have no problem adding services to it that I will never use, Ill just disable that module if I don't need it.
The program can already talk to you (if configured to do so) through a Text to speech synth such as Festival, just wondering if anyone can think of more features, if people have time bug reports are also very welcome :D I havent created documentation for Version 0.2 because the changes are fairly self explanatory, although the documentation for version 0.1 still comes in the tarball. That will be updated soon enough - must get into the habit of updating documentation as I add features ;)

Cheers (and hopefully there will be no ./ effect on my server ;) )

Ben
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Make it modular so people can code their own modules for it
Have a option for adding sites and ftps
Backup function
A server shut down and restart feature
Multiuser and multi privelege features
Hello
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Already done 4 of those since orginially posting, the FTP idea is a good idea :D inicidentally can you think of a better name? Im fairly crap at coding, worse at documentation but far worse than either at thinking up names.
Ive added an online update function to it as well, although that still needs some tweaking. The main thing I need to do at the moment is change the main menu to a module, at the moment if I make a change on that menu then the main portion of the program needs re downloading by the update function, so that has to change.

Thanks for the input :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby Hello » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:26 pm

Again I cant think of names for security you want to utalise ssh probably.

Really its just thinking what you need to control while you are away and think if you get stuck what would you need to control such as the reboot thing those may never be used but would be useful to put there

Sorry but I dont have a clue about names as well
Hello
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:41 pm

Yea the entire system uses ssh (assuming you are connecting to a remote server of course) Although at the moment it does require the ability to log in as root via SSH (something that I am well on the way to fixing) Yea the main reason I put the reboot in was actually because of a bug in the program, and whilst I could just walk upstairs and restart I figured what if I couldn't do that? Ive been wondering about adding the ability to run a program using ssh X forwarding. Its easy enough to do from the CLI but if you are already in the program then an option to do so would be useful
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Sun May 14, 2006 1:37 pm

OK I have implemented some new features, Including the ability to edit/add/remove samba shares. I'm now in the process of writing developer documentation - largely for my own benefit if I am honest - and it has occurred to me its actually quite difficult to install modules, well unless you are me (as I know my programming style - messy - so i know where thigns need to be inserted) what I was thinking of doing is creating another file that would contain menu entries for any new modules, this would then be sourced by the program and display a menu entry for any extra modules installed. Can anyone think of a better way of doing this?
Also another thing I have been considering (I'm past the point of writing it to my needs, they are already more or less fulfilled) is writing a module to allow authentication on the basis of a bluetooth device being present instead of using a GPG card. I.e. if my phone is detected as being present then a script will be run that will notify manipulate of this, its more out of interest to see if I can do it or not, just wondering if anyone had any ideas on this one? The main issue I can think of is that if I make it possible to override the ordinary login in this way then it presents a bit of a security hole in terms of people logging in when they shouldn't be able to.

My final question is, I could swear there was a program that could encrypt a password from the command line, but I cannot seem to find it. Am I going mad or can anyone remember what it is?

Cheers

Ben
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Mon May 15, 2006 12:56 am

Howdy,

Just did a wget on 2.0, looking forward to reading through it :)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Mon May 15, 2006 8:37 am

Excellent :) My coding style is somewhat messy I'm afraid though, and it is a fairly simple program at the moment, albeit getting complex.
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Return to Programming