Dual processors and Linux?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Dual processors and Linux?

Postby dodgiebros » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Question from 'Joe Average'. How does Linux handle a dual processor motherboard? An ASUS dual PIII 450MHz came my way. I built a machine out of it and installed Mandriva 2006. Was just wondering what Linux does with a dual CPU MB ? :?:
dodgiebros

RE: Dual processors and Linux?

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:05 pm

some distros supply a smp kernel that has been built specifically for multi processor environments google for more ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: Dual processors and Linux?

Postby bigjohn » Sat May 06, 2006 1:57 pm

dodgiebros wrote:Question from 'Joe Average'. How does Linux handle a dual processor motherboard? An ASUS dual PIII 450MHz came my way. I built a machine out of it and installed Mandriva 2006. Was just wondering what Linux does with a dual CPU MB ? :?:

Well if you consider the "big players" who use linux, then a mobo with only two processors would be a waste of their time.

did you not consider the big server units that run linux with 4/8/16 or whatever amount of CPU's that they're designed to run?

maybe you should have a look into linux "scalability" and then you'd see some seriously large multi processor systems.

Of course, to be fair, if you're only used to working with desktop type machines, then unless you're a nosey bugger (like me) who just likes to learn about stuff and what others use, you do forget about multi processor devices and the like.

A mate of mine basically uses his kit for home use, but he runs his "house setup" on a 4 cpu (P3 700mhz) server box under the stairs - oh and yes, he runs it on SuSE. He got all the kit on ebay.

What the hell, if you already have the processors (or can get), some hdd's and ram, then why not just give it a go - I seem to recall, SuSE and Mandriva will autodetect the multi processors and install the appropriate kernel.

Gentoo also has an "SMP" kernel version available - I'd imagine (without checking) that most of the bigger distros would have one.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

RE: Re: Dual processors and Linux?

Postby jbennet » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:14 pm

debian runs good on my 4x pentium 166 system
jbennet

Return to Hardware