Which clock is correct?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Which clock is correct?

Postby spottedcat » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:39 pm

On the first Sunday morning of BST I corrected one of my PC clocks courtesy of the Ubuntu timeserver, and then reset my other computer and household clocks from that via my wristwatch. OK, not wildly accurate, but hey I'm not leading an SAS assault here. A little later that day I posted in this forum and saw that the forum time was a couple of minutes ahead of my computer.

I've just compared your server time against BBC time as shown in the text pages of both the analogue and digital (freeview) transmissions. Again you're more than 2 minutes ahead. (Interestingly, BBC analogue time seems to be ahead of digital time - not just the digital couple of seconds, but more than a minute.)

So - which clock is correct? :)

(Picture this - me sitting with my feet up in front of the telly, with a laptop on my lap, flicking from analogue to digital, comparing times and getting worried about a two to three minute discrepancy. Should I have posted in shifty-ben's "What makes you sad?" thread? :wink:
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:42 pm

This is a Future magazine forum.

Sorry about that. :oops:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby shifty_ben » Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:51 pm

I wouldn't worry about the difference too much, the ntp time serves I normally use have only just corrected to take into account the change from GMT to BST, should have seen me fly out of bed that sunday morning when I saw the time and thought bugger they have corrected themselves, im late for work. Get to work and Im there an hour early :( thats every time the clocks have changed in the last 4 years that I have screwed up
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Return to This Website