Suse 10 problems

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Suse 10 problems

Postby baron » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:34 pm

Hi

I have just upgraded to Suse 10.0 (Commercial Edition) after using Suse since 6.4 and I feel its the worse version yet. Judging by the coments I seen many people are having trouble and one kind or another. Here is my list and any advide assistance woud be appreciated.

Upon boot up the OS does not see the sound card and there is no sound from anywhere. After some fiddling it will register SIS 7012 as my card and this allows me to play music cd's. Using either xine or amarok result in no sound at all. Xine will play the dvd but without sound while amarok crashes immediately I try to play an mp3 file. I have activated though modprobe both drivers i810_audio and snd_8x0.

Although my printer( HPDeskjet 930c) is configured it will not work with I reconfigure it again in YAST.

I have another drive with MepisPro installed and when using 9.2 I could access this via the Suse boot screen. Dispite checking that the boot script is exactly a copy of the Mepis boot script it willnot load it. "File not Found".

Konqueror (File Manager) cannot now display *.ps (Postscript) files. These are generally pages I have copied from the internet. The printer will not print postscript files directly so I save them, view them in Konqueror and can them print them if I want to.

If I cannot solve these problems soon I may scrap Suse 10 completely.

Baron
baron

RE: Suse 10 problems

Postby A-Wing » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:38 pm

ok, there are a number of issues here with a number of fixes. You didn't give many details so I will try and make assumptions:
Sound problems may be due to missing proprietary codecs. Or it could be the fact you are using 2 sound cards and ALSA doesn't know which to use
Assuming amarok is using the gstreamer engine you may need to get gstreamer to do a plugin refresh, details are in the FAQ on amarok's website. This is probably the cause of it crashing.

This should start you off at least. If not try a live CD such a Kubuntu to see if it picks up everything and plays nice. If it does then it might be time to switch.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby adzica » Fri Dec 23, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi,
I am an old SuSe user as well and unfortunatelly I have to agree with Baron. I installed SuSe10 on three different PCs and could not get sound for any of them. The only machine that is working well is my laptop. It looks like SuSe 10 has serious problem with recognising sound cards (in my case could not recognise 3 different ones). I subsequently uninstalled SuSe10 and installed Mandriva2006Powerpack and enjoy music together with other good stuff assembled by Mandriva team.

aleks
adzica

Postby A-Wing » Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:02 pm

You post sounds almost like an ad from Mandriva. I would say that you will probably find many distros will work with out for your laptop. If you gave details about your sound controller we would be able to diagnose this better.
Instead of paying for the powerpack you could have gone for Mandriva 2006 free edition.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby adzica » Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:24 pm

Well, I did not really want to advertise any particular distro here as I believe that every and each of them have something good to offer. And I would never make claim that one is better than the other. I have been using SuSe since release 8 and Mandriva since release 8.2. The fact is that current SuSe has a problem with sound. As I mentioned above, it did not work on 3 different PCs with different hardware.
As far as paying for Linux is concerned - it is my way to support great efforts of open source community. The only software I don't pay for is for the other OS (you know which one) :) - and that one is used only for fiewing TV due to drivers problems with my TV tuner card with Linux and Mac.
Bottom line is - SuSe 10 has problems with sound and they should do something about it. At the moment it is happily running my laptop only.
adzica

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:38 am

Strange, I have installed suse10 on 2 IBM laptops, an MSI shoebox PC, an oldish Toshiba, a fairly new sempron box with an asus mobo, and an Athlon 64 box so far.
All except the athlon64 have on board sound of different flavours (SiS, Intel AC97, Nvidia, not sure about the Tosh)
The Athlon has a fairly old creative PCI SBLive!.
They all work fine.
I have had problems in the past (on Mandrake 10, actually) with the alsa server not starting by default, or the sound being muted in the mixer.
On the 32 bit installs, amarok did crash on one, but i works OK now. :mrgreen:
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Suse 10 problems

Postby rguilme1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:57 am

I did an upgrade install of SUSE 10 and had no sound also. I reinstalled as a new install and let the installer detect all the hardware. After doing this I had sound. It even setup my wireless card without having to use ndiswrapper.

I think the upgrade install did not redo the final hardware setup phase of installation like the new install.

- Rick
rguilme1

Postby pins » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:40 am

the version of xine that comes with suse 10 is largely disabled. uninstall it and get a package off the web (i use rpm.pbone.net) get the xine package and the w32codecs package, and you should be fine.
*(xine-lib and xine-ui)
pins
LXF regular

Postby bushgatebazza » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:39 pm

I also installed SuSe 10on a laptop and my desktop ---the lap top has sound the desktop has no sound.
the internet wont work on either computer-- took both computers along to a linux lug group and they could.nt get them to work either (this made me feel a lot better)
iam a little disappoited with this version of SuSe and with novell for their part in producing it .Its understandable why windows is so popular.
bushgatebazza
bushgatebazza

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:43 pm

Well, suse 10 works fine on all the PCs I have installed it on (now over 10, all of them different except 2 IBM laptops.)

When you say the internet won't work, I assume that you mean that you have a windows only modem- many of which are only compatable with windows, as they are cheap software based units.
I only use broadband ethernet or wireless connections, (although the modem on my laptop works with suse).
Windows is popular because people get it preinstalled, and think that it is free.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:18 pm

I have SUSE 10 on an Asus desktop and SUSE SLICK on a Hewlett Packard laptop and the only sound problems I experienced were with KMix being muted post-installation.

With SUSE 10, the KMix icon in the system tray was muted - so I just unmuted it and did a reboot. With SLICK, I just had to go into KMix and unmute the sliders.

But if anyone can tell me why SUSE think it is a good idea to have the sound muted by default I should be very interested to know.

Quite frankly, out of the various distros I have used, I have found Mandriva to be the worst for sound problems, which just goes to show that where Linux is concerned what works for one person doesn't necessarily work for someone else. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:37 pm

ALSA defaults to muting most sound output. SUSE just aren't messing with the defaults.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jhooks » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:14 pm

I dont seem to recall the sound being muted on any of the machines I installed SUSE on.

>> Upon boot up the OS does not see the sound card and there is no sound from anywhere. After some fiddling it will register SIS 7012 as my card and this allows me to play music cd's. Using either xine or amarok result in no sound at all. Xine will play the dvd but without sound while amarok crashes immediately I try to play an mp3 file. I have activated though modprobe both drivers i810_audio and snd_8x0.

The audio in DVD video discs and mp3 files are both MP3 compressed. So it could be due to a lack of the necessary codec. I don't think this is likely as presumably you have installed enough to get the video component of DVDs to work. However just to be certain, have you tried play any uncompressed audio files? Also to rule out permision issue (incase you set it up manually, incorrectly) have you tried it as both root and a user.

>> Although my printer( HPDeskjet 930c) is configured it will not work with I reconfigure it again in YAST.

I am not quite sure of the full meaning of that sentence. I can't think of any suggestions to get your printer working, except maybe to reconfigure it to uses a different PPD.

>>I have another drive with MepisPro installed and when using 9.2 I could access this via the Suse boot screen. Dispite checking that the boot script is exactly a copy of the Mepis boot script it willnot load it. "File not Found".

My preferred method for multi-booting Linux is to have the bootloader for each installed in the boot sector of the root (or boot) partion. That way you can install a bootloader in the MBR and chainload whichever bootloader you prefer. It is very simple to add a chainload command to grub rather than mess about trying to compose the right grub command to boot the system. Any if you post your 'boot script' perhaps we could see what is going wrong.

>> Konqueror (File Manager) cannot now display *.ps (Postscript) files. These are generally pages I have copied from the internet. The printer will not print postscript files directly so I save them, view them in Konqueror and can them print them if I want to.

I had the same problem. For some reason the netsape plugin for Postscript doesn't work, either way it is probably a better idea to use kghostview as it was written specifically for KDE. To do this open Konqueror, then:
  • click on "Settings -> Configure Konqueror"
  • on the left pane of the window which opens up, click 'File Associations'
  • in the right pane, expand applications, scroll down and select postscript (NB, they aren't listed alphabetically)
  • next, click on the Embedding tab
  • in the Service Preference Order, select KGhostView and keep clicking move up until it is at the top
  • finally click OK and restart Konqueror

HTH
jhooks

Re: RE: Suse 10 problems

Postby jhooks » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:35 pm

bushgatebazza wrote:linux lug group

Really, you took it to a linux linux user group group? That must be a group of linux using linux groups.

On a more serious note, are if you could specify what you are trying to use to connect to the internet and what sound card you have, that would help us make a start. If you could also open a terminal, switch to root (enter 'su -' in the terminal) and give us the output of the command 'hwinfo --sound --modem --network', that would also help us identify exactly what hardware you are trying to use.
jhooks

Postby Hello » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:06 pm

Had no hardware problems yet although it dosent like my Graphics card and wont let me set the full color depth. Installed the ATI driver but it didnt like that and yast would not work afterwards so now I just use the standard driver.
Hello
LXF regular

Return to Hardware