DVD vs Blu-ray Disc format

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

DVD vs Blu-ray Disc format

Postby goeppingen » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:48 pm

Hi,

What you thing about to get now dvd burner or wait to get Blu-ray Disc format.
My other Q. is will Blu-ray Disc format burn DVD-R or DVD+R and DVD-RW or DVD+RW?
goeppingen
LXF regular

RE: DVD vs Blu-ray Disc format

Postby davecs » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Having seen a recent piece about Holographic Storage, I think that Blu-Ray may be obsolete before it arrives. At present they can make little squares of plastic that will hold 20Gb Holographic data, at transfer rates faster than Hard Drives, for about a pound, the trouble is the drive itself costs over £1000. Once they crack that problem, the fallout could be huge.

My advice? Stick with what you have for now, and hold out for holographic.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Re: RE: DVD vs Blu-ray Disc format

Postby goeppingen » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:31 pm

davecs wrote:Having seen a recent piece about Holographic Storage, I think that Blu-Ray may be obsolete before it arrives. At present they can make little squares of plastic that will hold 20Gb Holographic data, at transfer rates faster than Hard Drives, for about a pound, the trouble is the drive itself costs over £1000. Once they crack that problem, the fallout could be huge.

My advice? Stick with what you have for now, and hold out for holographic.

Will holographic comes with the desktop in the future?
goeppingen
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: DVD vs Blu-ray Disc format

Postby davecs » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:17 pm

That's the impression I got. Holographic can also use the thickness of the medium not just the surface area, so in theory, you can gave many TeraBytes of data on a medium the size of a CD Rom, but possibly a little thicker. And there are fewer moving parts also. The medium does not have to move, for example so does not have to be a disk.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:30 pm

So in effect you could have a triangular storage "disc" that would be so bizarre :D
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:49 pm

It was in Micro Mart a couple of months ago. The scary thing is that they can knock media out pretty cheap (though not with the density they expect in the future). Its the read/write mechanism that costs, and at present that is prohibitive. I seem to remember they were confident about data integrity, ie bits keeping their values until told otherwise. But think about it - faster than a Hard Drive. No moving parts. Removeable. Huge storage capacity.

They'll be a lot of investment to recoup before the price is affordable "for the rest of us", but all storage media both internal and external could be holographic. Goodbye Hard Drive, Flash Drive, CD, DVD, Bluray, you name it, Goodbye!
davecs
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Once the price drops it could be good fun to play with :D pity the readers cost so much
Need a New Signature
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Return to Hardware