kubuntu on covercd

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

kubuntu on covercd

Postby unisol » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 pm

how about kubuntu on the coverdisc :roll:
unisol

RE: kubuntu on covercd

Postby nelz » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:02 pm

I think we'll have to let Graham and Paul argue over whether we should include Ubuntu or Kubuntu :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby towy71 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:59 pm

Kubuntu is very nice for simpletons like myself get confused with juggling gnomes ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby marlight » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:57 pm

Get the best of both worlds, put Ubuntu on the disc, and a note to "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop" with the install notes so that the folks with a fetish for an over-abundance of menu items can get a K-fix. :D
marlight

Postby ticktock » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:50 pm

Ubuntu has better brand awareness. The option of naked threesomes as artwork, and the chance to go on about Mark Shuttleworth.
No-one wants "nakid dragons"
The apt-get solution is an excellent idea for the K users..
How about using up lots of the DVD for as many .deb packages as possible for those without a lot of bandwidth.
Possible interview with Mark Shuttleworth. Didn't Jono Bacon do one with him for Linux radio?
Chance to explain all about Gnome human Interface rubbish (lets give everyone no choice 'cos they are too stupid to be able to read a menu) vs KDE Menu hell (Just how many text editors do you need on your home system where only you log on to surf for the footy results)?
ticktock

Postby mcpherson » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:14 pm

[on from ticktocks post]
(..or nrop or to actualy do some useful stff like make websites to name a few tasks.)
mcpherson

Postby Deke » Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:20 pm

What's 'nrop'?

Me, I use my pooter for looking at pictures of pretty young girls in their undwear.

Dang 'Figleaves' ads get everywhere...
Deke

Postby PolarBearMan » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:11 pm

Have you tried chmod 777 figleaves ?
PolarBearMan

Postby Rhakios » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:02 pm

Then rm figleaves
Do not do rm -rf figleaves it's too gruesome for words :shock:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby kevanf1 » Tue May 10, 2005 1:26 pm

I'll add my small voice to the plea for Kubuntu. There shouldn't be any arguments, after all Ubuntu is freely available if you don't have BB by post. Sadly, Kubuntu is not yet available this way. I'm lucky as a friend is downloading Kubuntu for me as I type. But there are a lot of others who don't have this sort of access.
kevanf1
LXF regular

Postby doctorflange » Tue May 17, 2005 10:43 am

ticktock wrote:No-one wants "nakid dragons"

Some people are weird.

I tried my hardest to give Gnome a chance. I even uninstalled KDE to force myself to use it for a while. It really does just come down to personal preference, because the more I used it, the more I just wanted to reinstall kde. The thing is, I used to use Gnome all the time (when I used RH & FC), I've just become so used to overconfiguring things and having crazy, overcrowded menus. It may be not a usability-friendly as Gnome, nut that's the way a-ha a-ha I like it a-ha a-ha.
Signature license here. Background by Michele Valentinuz. Source.
doctorflange

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs