NetBSD and Linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

NetBSD and Linux

Postby dandart » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:57 pm

How do you install NetBSD on the same computer, seeing as they need different bootloaders to install? (how to get around the kernel problem). With NetBSD 2.0 and Red Hat Linux 8.0 (grub preferred)
dandart

RE: NetBSD and Linux

Postby Nobber » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:09 pm

From memory, here's an outline plan:

1. NetBSD must be installed in a primary partition. Make sure there's one ready on your disk.
2. GRUB can boot *BSD in the same way as it boots Windows, e.g.

title NetBSD
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
chainloader +1
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:25 pm

I'm not sure if NetBSD uses the same installation procedure/tools as FreeBSD, but I managed to b0rk GRUB on the MBR by overwriting it with the FreeBSD bootloader. I would advise being very certain you know how to install the NetBSD bootloader to the root partition and not the MBR before you start. I'd also use a more up to date distro than RH8, and install that first to ensure GRUB is set up to start with.
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby dandart » Tue May 03, 2005 7:37 am

That's the thing. I have no distro more up2date than rh8! Any cds that you could redirect me to (im skint!) would be appreciated.
dandart

Postby mugstar » Tue May 03, 2005 8:47 am

If you're in the UK, then the next issue of Linux Format should be in the shops on election day. That has Mandrake 10.2 (or Mandriva, or whatever.) And in the interests of competition, the latest Linux Magazine is due out on Friday, which will have the same distro on it.
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Wed May 04, 2005 9:59 am

Just because the installer offeres to install a bootstrap, it dosen't mean you have to go along with it. Especially if you already have a working set up. *bsd boots the same as most other OS's, it has it's boot files external to its' kernel, with its' first stage on the first sector of its' root partition, and the secondaries in the /boot directory. Pretty much the same as windows or any other system. Linux is the one that's different. Having its' boot process/files internel to the kernel.

nobber has the right idea. No need to overwrite whatever boot system you already have, just add the *bsd install to you Grub or Lilo config, and prepare a partition it can install to. Let the installer format it. bsd will likely refer to it as a "slice", iirc, and will then proceed to slice it up further into a number of sub partitions/slices ... all contained in the primary you allocated. A primary logical should be ok too.

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Code: Select all

-:-  If the system is the answer, then the question  -:-
             -:-  must have been really stupid  -:-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Wed May 04, 2005 12:06 pm

Since that post about a b0rked MBR, I've installed PCBSD onto a primary partition. It gave the option to i) install the bootloader to the MBR, or ii) install no bootloader. I chose the latter, then booted into it from the GRUB command line. So yeah, jjmac is right on this one. Maybe next time I'll read up a bit before installing esoteric things like *BSDs... :oops:
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Thu May 05, 2005 7:42 am

I am looking for the newest distro that's RH or SuSE, preferred. Any idea where I can get those?

Postby jjmac » Wed May 11, 2005 12:34 am

mugstar wrote:

>>
Since that post about a b0rked MBR, I've installed PCBSD onto a primary partition. It gave the option to i) install the bootloader to the MBR, or ii) install no bootloader. I chose the latter, then booted into it from the GRUB command line. So yeah, jjmac is right on this one. Maybe next time I'll read up a bit before installing esoteric things like *BSDs...
>>

There are quite a lot of posts around various places concerning this type of problem. Which, i think, could be solved very easily if the installers were more informative. Seems that good systems start off with unnecessary diffulcuties as a result. Not great for first impressions,thats for sure :). Plus people seem to see their mbr bootstrap and loader as the same thing, which of course there not. I guess the lexability of being able to put Linux's loader virtually any where contributes to that in a way. But ... being really lazy and not following the link (grin), what is it about PCBSD that makes it easier. Unless it's their installer/docs. The last installer i saw was woodys, which nearly made me spew it was so bad. Also, i think that programs which edit the mbr with out auto making a full versioned/dated backup really sux. It's the kind of slackness that shouldn't get into Linux really. But, enough rant ...

jm

-:-  If the system is the answer, then the question  -:-
           -:-  must have been really stupid  -:-
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 9:57 am

It certainly wouldn't take much effort to make the installer more friendly, just a line or two of explanation would suffice. In PCBSD, for example, all it would need is the second option to be changed to read "Install bootloader to root partition/slice (you will need to configure an existing bootloader such as GRUB)". As it is, it presumes prior knowledge of the workings of the bootloader on the part of the user. Which can be a *bad* thing (cf my b0rked MBR :roll:)

In my experience, PCBSD is easier than other *BSD's to install because as long as you have a spare primary partition you just point the installer at it and away it goes. It's not exactly l33t, but avoids the need to mess about with the *BSD partitioning tool, which, IMHO, is not intuitive at all. (i.e. 'harder to use than cfdisk'). It also sets up xorg and other essential stuff like networking automagically, given a couple of basic bits of information.

Postby mugstar » Wed May 11, 2005 9:59 am

GRR! Fix the sporadic logging in problem! Above post is mine...
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 11:46 am

That was happening to me for a while as well. On new window openings. But it dosen't happen any more (grin) no idea why.

It might have been a cookie thing with the two sites. Has LXF still got a mutiple personality thing happening, i haven't checked lately :)

'bout as much help as some installers :roll:

>>
As it is, it presumes prior knowledge of the workings of the bootloader on the part of the user.
>>

Yep, thats it. Assuuumes. All they need to do is probe for the existing state. Then tell the user that they already have a bootstrap installed, and if another other OS type is detected (via fs type) in their table, then they may configure the current install from there. Still, there are holes there. A lot of people won't know if they can or not. Especially if the other fs is detected as a windows type. Which won't like the idea of providing for the boot of another system (grin)

But, it must be better to just default a boot-floppy creation, then have a clearly marked facility in the install to handle the loader configuration later.

Better installer docs must be the way to go.

jm

-+-     If the system is the answer, then the question
                    must have been really stupid                   -+-

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 11:48 am

Ahrrr sh*t, guess what .... dam it. This place is just to much sometimes

jm

Postby towy71 » Wed May 11, 2005 12:24 pm

hahaha the fickle finger of fate! :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby troyklein » Wed May 11, 2005 1:40 pm

Hello all,
I am looking for a good resource to configure multimedia keys on a Microsoft keybord. I saw an artical on it in LinuxFormat a month or so back. Can anyone help me or point me in a direction?
troyklein

Next

Return to Help!