Incentives for Wiki Editors

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Incentives for Wiki Editors

Postby comcamel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:34 pm

With the wiki, i though it was a good idea, but really with the forum, there isn't much incentive or drive to edit except out of the goodness of your heart. Everymonth people who have done a lot of work should be mentioned in the magazine and get a small prize or something like that.. then i would start typing mad on it!
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:23 pm

Just have to make sure that it is decent stuff and not rubbish!!
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:55 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:Just have to make sure that it is decent stuff and not rubbish!!

The prize or the contribution ? :wink:
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Incentives for Wiki Editors

Postby comcamel » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:21 pm

well both i would say. as anyone could just bung a copy of from the internet and say it is theirs. They would have to fully write it up using screenshots such as with their name in the background on one for proof.
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:45 am

putting ones signature at the bottom of the entry would ensure that there is someone to blame for crap edits ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:46 am

This is tricky to do right -- with a great prize, there could be folks filling it up with pages from Wikipedia or elsewhere to win, and I can't check that every single entry is brand new :-) I'll have a think...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:04 pm

something like that, however identifiying a way of validating it would help work the idea. However an incentive is what is needed just a solution to ensure it isn't exploited. Maybe a small program that loads up a unique referral id, on linuxformat.co.uk and is display in the corner perhaps. Don't know to be sure...
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:29 pm

Just about everything could be copied straight from Wikipedia... Am I the only one who sees this as significant!?!?
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby shifty_ben » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:41 pm

This is tricky to do right -- with a great prize, there could be folks filling it up with pages from Wikipedia or elsewhere to win, and I can't check that every single entry is brand new Smile I'll have a think...

Well you guys were asking for ideas for another LXF bounty, there you go... Design a program to stop people filling our Wiki with Wikipedia copy n pastes... :D
shifty_ben
LXF regular

Postby pins » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:29 pm

umm... community monitored? surely people would be able to spot straight copies pretty easily, by googling passages from the material, and could highlight that fact to others, isn't that part of what a wikis aboutanyway: community responsibility for the material?
pins
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:33 pm

Yes, but with a lot of material, there may be some pages unchecked. Logistically it'd be a huge effort to give out prizes for contributions unless it was very well monitored! Still, I'm always thinking of possible options along that route. Plus, we have something special planned for the Wiki in the next few weeks, so keep watching :-)

(PS faroutsonoflung, thanks for spotting that old spam. There was nothing on that page originally, and I'm going to add a lot more help at some point.)

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby emyr42 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:00 pm

Surely there's some Linux-friendly office monkey at LXF Towers with enough spare time to take the best advice from the forums and include it in the wiki?
OpenSUSE 10.2, WinXPHome
AMD Sempron 2400, 512MB DDR333, Twin 60GB Deathstars
emyr42
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:31 pm

That's not the point of a Wiki. That's how a normal site might work, but a Wiki is open to contributions fro everyone.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby comcamel » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:25 pm

maybe, even if it isn't written by someone, but is in the wiki, it is picked out by a vote or the magazine team and put into the magazine? If it is good english and helpful enough so that everyone could do it. As i wouldn't mind my name been in the magazine for helping someone. Even if it says, contributed by blah blah
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:36 am

Well, one thing I could consider is putting an offline version of the Wiki on the coverdisc, to help those who don't have regular Internet access (like we sometimes do with the LDP archive). The Wiki would have to be fleshed-out a bit more beforehand, but it could be an idea!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Next

Return to This Website