sysenter_do_call+0x12/0x28 - kernel panic?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

sysenter_do_call+0x12/0x28 - kernel panic?

Postby mikejd » Mon May 26, 2014 10:10 am

One of my computers now refuses to boot with the process apparently halting on the line
sysenter_do_call+0x12/0x28.

I understand from a google search that this is probably a kernel panic and a reinstall was recommended. However, the machine won't boot from a CD either, with the same result. It loads an LXF DVD and goes to the boot menu, select the distro to run but then fails.

Does this mean the machine is now unusable? It is pretty old and just used as a printer server to the network. So it's probably due for replacement anyway.

Any advice?
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Mon May 26, 2014 12:03 pm

That failure pattern suggests to me that you look hard at the optical drive - looks like it is failing during the reading, and you may need a newer drive (can you boot from an external drive plugged into USB?)
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby mikejd » Mon May 26, 2014 12:34 pm

The failure happens first with the HDD and then with the optical drive, so I think it is something more fundamental.
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon May 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Try the easy things first, check that the drive cables are firmly seated and undamaged.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!