No votes
Debian
67%
Gentoo
33%

Total votes : 3

Which distro?

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:51 pm

I'm awaiting delivery of a new Shuttle all-in-one machine (X50V2, with touch screen) as the original was DOA. Now, these come w/o any OS pre-installed so basically, I'm spoilt for choice :) The remaining options are:
  • Debian
  • Android
  • Chromium
  • Gentoo
As long time Debian user, it's no surprise it's on the list. Android and Chromium need to be build, basically from scratch, and although Gentoo has some building to do too, I reckon it's the easier of the 3.

The device is not my main machine and intended as a learning tool (for myself). It'll have just 4 GB RAM and a 250-ish GB SSD. There's no GSM module on board, which may hinder Android.

What would you choose?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby MadTux » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:13 pm

I'd say Arch, because it is (almost) as powerful as Gentoo, but a bit less work.

What a weird machine, though :D
" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Postby dandnsmith » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:30 am

Seems to me it's a bit Apples and Pears.
I've never come across any suggestion you can get Android for such a PC, even if the others are available.
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Postby MadTux » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:35 am

" Drinking the wrong kind of alcohol can cause headaches or death " -- from my chemistry class
MadTux

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:53 am

What about Cyanogen mod as an alternative to Android? Just throwing it out there, I don't know if you can build it to run on the machine or not. I've just installed it on all our Android devices. Sorry Google.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Re: Which distro?

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:51 am

Regrettably only 3 people took time to vote (many thanks!) and Debian is a clear winner (2 to 1 :P ) I couldn't get ChromiumOS to build and haven't even attempted Android, so Debian it is. :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Discussion