Computing... Linux for servers

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Computing... Linux for servers

Postby ggreaves » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:18 am

Anyone read Computing issue 27 October 2005 - Data Business section page 45 - Boardroom briefing (in association with symantec) topic Linux for servers.

Here are a few choice quotes

The best one first and the author is talking in the past tense here...

Computing wrote: It (Linux) also lacked security that Micorsoft could offer
:?:

Computing wrote:Over the past couple of years, it (Linux) has matured as an OS and works well on smaller networks.

Computing wrote: But the true test for networked Linux will come when it is used as the operating system for high-end, mission-critical applications. Only then will it get the approval it needs to go head to head with Microsoft at the high end.

Do note that the author's name cannot be seen anywhere so replies to: back_bytes@vnu.co.uk
ggreaves
LXF regular

RE: Computing... Linux for servers

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:49 am

Beh, ignore it. Those articles are written to an exact formula -- you could've replaced Linux with Netware or OS/2 going back a decade or so. It's a soothing comfort blanket for IT bigwigs who've splashed out £millions on Microsoft kit, and are now scared they've made the wrong choice.

"But the true test for networked Linux will come when it is used as the operating system for high-end, mission-critical applications."

Will come?! Tell that to Amazon, Google and co. And if we're talking really 'mission-critical', then you don't run nuclear power stations on Linux or Windows. QNX all the way :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Computing... Linux for servers

Postby ggreaves » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:13 pm

I posted this on the computing website :lol:

I am not suprised at the lack of knowledge and research put into this artical pg 45 27/10/05. Obviously a MS hugger needing comfort from the rise of Linux.
What exactly does the author mean by "mission-critical"? Nuclear systems control, high capacity search engine, order processing, global webmail...
Well lets say the first 3 the above because each enterprise will view their system as mission critical.

1. Nuclear systems control: UEIP - russia, uses QNX
now read http://www.acic.org/law/InfoSec/090803.pdf

2. Search engine: Google.com uses Linux.

3. Order processing: Merrill Lynch, Credit Suisse First Boston and amazon.com

And guess what use to power Hotmail... got to the link below and search for hotmail.... I rest my case
http://www.osdata.com/oses/freebsd.htm

I should have titled it Get the Facts but that might already be copyright. :D
Last edited by ggreaves on Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ggreaves
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:22 pm

Microsoft's Get The Facts is the best collection of fictional stories since Harry Potter :lol:
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:43 pm

Bah humbug, I would rather hear less about both :twisted: :evil:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Farslayer » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:29 am

Aren't the Mars Rovers from N.A.S.A. running Linux as well ?

havent they been operating for nearly 2 years past their original intended 90 Day mission ? the rovers were launched June 10, &July 7 2003.. I can hardly see sending a device that far away with an OS that isn't stable.. not to mention that way they were able to fix the rovers remotely when there were troubles at the strat..

I think the NASA scientists considerd that mission critical.. after all it's only a couple million dollars to send a ship to Mars..

Yep another clueless or tunnel visioned writer..
Farslayer

Return to Discussion