PCLinuxOS 0.92 is nearly ready. Test iso available:

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PCLinuxOS 0.92 is nearly ready. Test iso available:

Postby davecs » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:35 pm

Texstar has released a Test iso for PCLinuxOS 0.92.

The iso is provided with no support, but he does want people to try it and feed back problems, so that 0.92 proper can be issued with any problems resolved.

Read all about it at Distro Watch.

I am downloading it as I type and will be putting it through its paces this weekend.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: PCLinuxOS 0.92 is nearly ready. Test iso available:

Postby davecs » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 pm

Just to say there are one or two bugs, and a rather sinful omission.

The bootup parameter "keyb" doesn't work, so you get lumbered with an American keyboard. And reiserfsprogs was left off, forcing you to use ext2 or ext3. These will be put right, along with other bugs, for the actual release. There is also a kernel update.

As it happens, thanks to unionfs, I was able to install reiserfs via synaptic whilst running live, and then install it. Installation was very easy once I had done that, and I was able to install the kde en_GB files to get my British keyboard back (but not in Text mode).

The install was smooth as silk, but I am not too sure about the artwork. For those who don't like it, Jose Rangels' stuff can be installed from Synaptic and/or downloaded from www.kde-look.org

OpenOffice is omitted due to space, KOffice is on instead. But it is a simple matter to uninstall it and install OOo from synaptic. DigiKam is on, but kipi-plugins is not, which I thought odd, but this is also available from Synaptic.

Stability and Hardware Detection are great, indeed I noticed during some incremental upgrades since .91, that the WLAN on my laptop suddenly fired into life, I just need a wireless point to test it with! My sis-in-law's home has Wireless Internet, I will be testing against that on my next visit.

Some USB stuff is broken on the test install, again, that will be fixed on the main one.

Overall, still up there with the best. Texstar never rushes anything, and whilst .92 proper should be out within the week, if it ain't right, it won't be.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:32 pm

2nd test iso of PCLOS announced by Texstar:

Houston, TX, November 1, 2005: PCLinuxOS .92 Test 02 is available at the
following location:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... h/preview/

Please note this is not a final release iso. We will not answer support
questions concerning this test release. Feedback however can be sent to
pclinuxos-dev at sbcglobal.net.

PCLinuxOS .92 features an updated 2.6.12-oci6 kernel, k3b, gimp, smb4k,
kdemoreartwork, bluetooth, resierfs-progs, ntfs-progs and the following
update from Test 01:

Fixed keyboard selection when livecd keyb= is entered on the livecd boot
Fixed nsplugins on hd install so user doesnt have to scan them
Updated kernel and kernel source stripped to 2.6.12-oci6
Installed ssh server software but not enabled at boot
Cleaned old kernel lib directory left from kernel update
Changed cursor default to white on blue
Added gdb to debug any software failures
Added reiserfs and ntfs rpms so diskdrake can function properly
Fixed Real Media player in Firefox
Dressed up Fluxbox with idesk support and icons
Added www-browser to fix some issues when help is launched from various
software program such as gimp.
Fixed usb wireless keyboard/mouse problem on hard drive install
Fixed automounting of devices on hard drive install
Fixed Splash Screen default in Kcontrol
Added dmraid software
Removed devfs=nomount from installer and lilo as it is not needed anymore
Set cups to start at boot so printer can be setup either printdrake/kde.
Added wacom tablet driver to xorg (Need to test)
Kmix defaults to restore volume on login to fix 2nd boot mute problem
Backed down ipw2200 kernel drivers to 1.0.3 and supporting firmwire (Need to
test)

Outstanding: kusbhome still not functioning properly and was left out this
test release.

My major concerns have been addressed, which were lack of support for Reiserfs and the odd way Firefox and Realplayer worked (realplayer got its own window instead of integration into Firefox),

Some innovation here, too with Fluxbox including Idesk, meaning that you will be able to put icons on lightweight desktops without running Rox or Nautilus.

Downloading as I type ... will get back!
davecs
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:04 am

Test-2 tested. The fixes Tex refers to are in place, and kipi-plugins (needed to make programs such as digiKam and ShowImg from simple photo loggers to powerhouses!) is now on the default install.

Only problems I spotted were:

1 - When you boot up, if you haven't yet installed your printer, there is a "Plug and Pray" box that offers to do it. As a result of me taking up that option, I checked the system services, CUPS was running on startup, but HPLIP (I have an HP printer) was not. On previous installs I had cancelled the Printer Detected box and gone into the control centre manually, and both CUPS and HPLIP got added.

2 - I don't like the new mouse pointers!

Expect to see it soon, I cannot see anything much wrong of any significance. The install was quicker than ever, the actual file copying taking 13 minutes. I cannot give you an overall timing as I was back and forth watching the footie!
davecs
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:46 am

A third Test iso has now been released. There has finally been a "stable" version of Unionfs released, and the guys at PCLOS have upgraded the LiveCD to incorporate it. A number of bugs have gone, the Printer "Plug and Pray" now works correctly on my computer, the Root Password setting in the installation dialogue now works, unionfs now allows Firefox to run live.

The feedback from the mailing list suggests that nobody's been able to break it yet, the small but annoying bugs are fixed, and I see "Test-03" being released as stable (with possibly one or two upgrades but nothing you cannot do through the repositories).

SO head off over to Distrowatch and grab yourself an iso. Whereas the jury's out on the new graphics, in terms of functionality, this PCLOS is vastly improved, which considering how good it was to begin with, is some achievement.
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Announcements