Debian Network [SOLVED]

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Debian Network [SOLVED]

Postby Crispy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:52 am

Hi,

I recently bought a Samsung 300E5A laptop and installed Debian Squeeze on there. The net-installation all went fine and I booted it up this morning, only to find that there wasn't any wireless option anywhere. Assuming I just needed some non-free drivers, I plugged in a ethernet cable; only to find that it couldn't connect. I have no idea why.

The kernel version I am using is 2.6.32-5-amd64 and lspci showed that the ethernet controller is a Realtek RTL8111/8168B and the wireless controller is Intel WiFi 130 Series.

ifconfig shows the existence of eth0, however iwconfig just said there wasn't any extensions and indeed there isn't any wlan0 or anything similar only eth0 and lo.

I found on the intel website that the wifi drivers may be supported from kernel 2.6 onwards, however that doesn't seem to be the case for me.

I would like to just get the ethernet working first then I can upgrade things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Debian Acolyte » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 pm

I do not want to speculate about your configuration, but the Realtek driver appears to be in the non-free repository.
Code: Select all
Package firmware-realtek
    * squeeze (stable) (kernel): Binary firmware for Realtek wired and wireless network adapters

wifi-radar is in the Stable repository and firmware-iwlwifi is in non-free. I do not use wireless, so my knowledge is limited to say the least. That is why I do not know where your 130 series fits into the picture. Debian's documentation says support begins with the 1000 series.

I hope that is helpful.
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby Crispy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:22 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. I did some googling and found that the firmware-iwlwifi package is what I need for the wifi and according to:

http://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi?action=s ... ect=iwlagn

it supports the intel 100 series. The issue is I can't get it without the ethernet working and unfortunately I can't access the package you mentioned because I have no ethernet at all.

In googling around it appears the problem is related to the r8169 kernel module; apparently its broken? The method of solution seems to be installing the r8168 official realtek module. So that is what I am going to try next.

Thank you again for your reply, it is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Debian Acolyte » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:54 pm

Quite a few people people post problems with WIFI on the Debian forum, but rarely do those problems include not having a wired connection. Most people are able to install the needed wireless packages after installation with a wired connection. My first guess is the configuration. If the IP, Gateway and DNS addresses are all correctly configured, then I am out of my element. My expertise is limited to configuring a static wired connection. Hopefully, the Debian Wiki entry you listed will help. Good luck.
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby Crispy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:45 am

Thank you for your reply. I did a complete re-install in the end as I just couldn't get things to work, only this time I installed the DVD version rather than the net-inst. I did find someone on, I think, the debian forum, saying they also didn't have wired connection but that was the only one. When I did a complete re-install the ethernet worked fine and was using the same driver as the net-inst so I have no idea what went wrong.. So now I have moved on to consider the wifi.

Ok, I have determined that the driver I require is iwlwifi and apparently it has been shipping with the kernel since version 2.6.24 so in theory I should have it already. So I checked whether it was being loaded by the kernel using:
Code: Select all
dmesg | grep 'iwlwifi'
dmesg | grep 'iwlagn'

and they both returned nothing, which is odd - perhaps I've done something wrong? So I used a Fedora 17 LXDE live CD (LXF one), ran lspci -v and found that the wireless card was a: Intel Centrino Wireless N-130, rather than a Intel 130 series which is what I was told by Debian. According to http://intellinuxwireless.org/ the iwlwifi has only been supporting that chipset since 2.6.37 and I have kernel 2.6.32, therefore this seems to be the issue. However, I have checked and according to the system there isn't any updates available. So now I have the question, how do I upgrade my kernel to 2.6.37 so that I can use my wifi?

Thanks again for any help, its greatly appreciated.
Chris
Crispy

Postby Debian Acolyte » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:48 am

I have never done such things, because I have never had the need, so the best I can do is refer you to this link.
http://backports-master.debian.org/
If you need to up-grade the kernel, install it from backports. Of course, you will need to add backports to your sources list. As mentioned, I have never used it, but it looks very straight-forward.
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Postby Crispy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:08 pm

Thank you so much, that looks like exactly what I need. On searching for the iwlwifi package on backports showed that it contains drivers for the Wireless 100 series :) which is I think what I need and should work.. hopefully.. i'll give it a go and post back here with the results.

Thanks again,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Crispy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:19 pm

SOLVED :)

Thank you for your help Debian Acolyte, I had a look at the backports link you sent and tried to install the firmware-iwlwifi drivers thinking that will give the iwlagn kernel module the right drivers.. however, my wireless still didn't work. So I installed the kernel backport (now running 3.2 backport) and now everything works fine :) I even get better resolution for the graphics :).. I don't know why the backported firmware wouldn't work and the only thing I can think of is that the kernel module iwlagn mustn't have been able to recognise my wireless even with the new firmware? I'm probably wrong but in any case, its all working now.

Thanks again,
Chris
Crispy

Postby Debian Acolyte » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Glad I could help a little. It is nice to know I am not completely useless with computers. :D
Debian Stable
Openbox
Debian Acolyte

Return to Help!